Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Maxxis Ikon on the rear?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Was running a Shorty/DHR2 combo over the winter and now looking for something faster rolling now things are starting to dry up a bit.
    Most riding is on the Malverns so hardpack, loose over hard type stuff with a bit of loamy off-piste thrown in for good measure.
    Have an 2.3″ Aggressor on the front (which is really good) so what would you recommend on the back? Looking at the Ikon as I’m not a fan of the Ardent/Crossmark and the Minion SS isn’t out in 26″ yet (due May)
    Ikon is widely available in 26″ too so thinking a 2.2″ could be ideal.
    How do they size up?

singletracksurfer

Er pretty average/accurate I’d say. I have them as a rear with a knobblier tyre up front and really like the combo (unless it’s pretty slippery mud).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

More sideways than the ardent? My ardent races in 29r narrow have more grip

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve been running a 2.35 Ikon as a rear, it’s very quick, but doesn’t particularly like anything wet or soft and spends lots of time going sideways and spinning out on climbs.. The 2.35 is pretty much true to size, so I suspect the 2.2 will be similar, but I have a feeling the 2.35 and 2.2 have different tread depths with the 2.35 having a little more grip and bigger side lugs in particular.

I swapped it for a Rock Razor a month or so back and that’s brilliant, fast rolling but the big side knobs grip when leaned over and also seem to give it extra traction upright on softer stuff. Might be a bit big for you at 2.35 though and quite a big 2.35 at that.

Have you thought about the Ardent Race? That’s a true-ish 2.2 and makes a really nice dry to medium conditions rear tyre – quite fast, deceptively grippy, better than the 2.25 Ardent ime.

stevied
    Free Member

Ah, will have a look at the A-Race 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

It’s a little bit expensive, but a nice halfway house between the Ikon and the Ardent I reckon. Pretty fast and decently grippy plus predictable. I didn’t find the Ikon out back very predictable, except predictably slippy…

jam-bo

I think the trick with the ikon is to expect no grip and be pleasantly surprised when it does. I really like them as a summer tyre.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Loving the Ikon as a rear tyre.
    I am a XC Jeyboy though!
    Running it with a Rocket Ron front as my XC combo.
    Rode up something surprisingly steep and thinking it was gonna lose it then grip and grip and over the top!
    It’s got some bite when it needs it!
    Max

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Ikon on the rear?’ is closed to new replies.