Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Maxxis Ignitor/Advantage 2.1
  • martinhurton
    Free Member

Looking at some new tyres as mine are pretty cracked/worn now.

Can’t decide if to stick with Conti Explorers or go for something else. The Maxxis are on offer at the moment. Seems the Advantage might make a good front and the Ignitor a good rear tyre, or just go for a pair?

I like a fast/light tyre for trail centre (singletrack/red runs) and XC use. Weakness of the Conti’s is wear rate and continous pinch flats on the rear (althoug tubeless would fix this) plus a pretty small volume so unable to run them as low as I’d like on the rear.

Gonna be running them tubeless with some sealant.

Any thoughts on these as a front/rear combo before I part with my money?

(PS – yes, I tried searching)

stevied
    Free Member

I’m using an ADvantage rear/Minion front, both tubeless. Really good combo and plenty of grip/traction from the back. Another combo that might be worth a look is an Ardent front/Ad rear..that worked really nicely too (when a bit drier) 🙂

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Big fan of Advantage, very predictable, excellent side-knob grip, fairly light, seem to be OK in mud…

Where are they on offer?

IA

That’s a good combo, but for the love of god put the ignitor on the front! Crap as a rear tyre.

They’re all-rounders though, not fast tyres.

If you want fast, go crossmarks, maybe an ikon on the front.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. Seems the Advantage should go on the rear though!

The ignitor has a similar tread to the Conti Explorers and I’d be happy with that up front.

They are in Halfords with 20% off, making it £39.98 for the pair.

One thing my current set-up does is climb really well/quickly and I don’t want to ruin that. My mate has 2.3’s on his hardtail but I don’t want that penalty on the uphills which I enjoy 😯

legend
    Free Member

Used to have a 2.1 advantage on the front, it was crap. Works well on the rear though

moonboy
    Free Member

Ive run 2.1 Advantage on the front of my hardtail for ages. Absolutely perfect for battering round the local woods (Bristol) and trail centres.

If I was heading to the peaks or rougher stuff in the lakes I might want a bit more tyre to cushion things but otherwise its great.

Ran an ignitor on the rear for a while too – nice and predictable. Swapped for a crossmark now, faster with nearly as much grip but CRAP in mud. Fortunately with the new trails here that can be mostly avoided. All in 2.1 flavour.

advantage on the front ftw in general for me.

bland

I used to run that combo, ignitor on front and Adv on rear in 2.1.

its a good combo for trail centres but out of depth on natural terrain with rocks.

I got some 2.4 advantages and they are amazing but drag, gone down to 2.25 on rear and love it.

After running a bigger volume i have never used the 2.1’s since as they were hard work. If you want some cheap i should have quite a lot sat in the loft doing nothing, or if anyone wants 2.1’s for something bigger let me know

clubber
    Free Member

I’m using 2.1 Ignitors front and rear on my 29er and front only on my SS (26″) – all tubeless.

I think they’re good tyres – decent grip, predictable slide and cope relatively well with all conditions. No problems with them tubeless either (IIRC the 29er ones are not tubeless specific while the 26″ is a LUST one)

excitable1
    Free Member

+1 for 2.1 Advantage at the the back.

I ran Advantage front & back for a while but I nearly died ! It was so skitish (made up word). 2.25 Ardent up front now and it’s a perfect all round combination for everything from the local woods to the Peaks and the Lakes. Fit and forget.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Thanks again. 2.1″ is max I want to go so think the Ignitor will be the one for me up front.

Bland, will probably go new on this occassion. Been a while since I bought tyres!

djflexure

Ignitor front, advantage rear is a good combo when its not too wet.

excitable1
    Free Member

…. and it’s always wet here so Ardent up front.

rocketman
    Free Member

I like a fast/light tyre for trail centre (singletrack/red runs) and XC use

Advantage/Ardent front, CrossMark rear you will fly round

CrossMark suspiciously good even in mud it will hook up and go if you use a bit of finesse

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Ignitor/Advantage 2.1’ is closed to new replies.