• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Maxxis HR knobs and tyre sealant
  • verbboy
    Free Member

Hi All

2 things:

Maxxis HR2 – Exo 3c blah blah blah. Done less that 600 miles on it and a knob cracked to the extent it made a hole in the tyre! Is this normal? I’d noticed the knobs were cracking a little after a few rides.

Then went to put a tube in as clearly the sealant wasn’t doing its job and all I found inside the tyres was some sealant boogers, is this normal, they were hardly liquid to fill a hole!

MSP

How long was the sealant in for?

amedias
    Free Member

Done less that 600 miles on it and a knob cracked to the extent it made a hole in the tyre! Is this normal? I’d noticed the knobs were cracking a little after a few rides

Mincing along towpaths no, rampaging down the alps and heavy braking/cornering, yes

all I found inside the tyres was some sealant boogers, is this normal, they were hardly liquid to fill a hole!

After a few weeks no, after a few months in hot weather, yes

So basically, no or yes, depending on the circumstances, give us some more info!

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

CO2 will do that to stans fluid too.

puddings
    Free Member

Also if the original installer was tight with the amount of sealant when setting them up, a small quantity will dry up quicker

verbboy
    Free Member

50% xc type riding 50% alps and BPW

Had the bike for 3 months

Sound like I should check my sealant more often then!

Kahurangi

Yeah, 3 months of hard riding on the summer will use up your sealant 🙂

Also, the enlarging hole/s will have used up sealant, possibly without you immediately noticing.

MSP

Some makes of tyres soak up the sealant more than others, ie continental uses loads even after they are sealed, where as schwalbe barely seems to need any.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis HR knobs and tyre sealant’ is closed to new replies.