Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Maxxis HR 2.5 UST vs the newer 2.3 Exo HRII TR for DH – are they as reliable?
  • rocketbike
    Free Member

Was just about to press the button on a pair of 2.3 TR Maxxis HR II’s but could not commit..

Have happily run 2.5 HR and Minion UST’s on my DH rig as tubeless for years but I am not convinced that the new Exo TR tyres are as reliable as the UST set up. Last thing I want is my tyres wanting a divorce when I am on the rocks..

Anyone on here have any experience with these new TR Maxxis. For some reason Maxxis are not doing UST or LUST versions of the HR II. Maybe they are as good despite not having the full UST bead.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I bought one of the 2.3tr versions a couple of weeks ago. Its not as tough as the UST tyres, the sidewalls are nowhere near as tough as the 2.5 dp highroller 2s I have. I’d be wary about running them at low pressures over rock ground. It’d be a great all to and riding tyre, just not sure about DH

rotten
    Free Member

Sidewalls are a bit thin for the rear IMO. Last year I ran Minion rear in EXO TR as did a friend and he kept ripping the sidewalls.

lornholio
    Free Member

My DHF EXO 2.5s survived 65 days riding in Chamonix last summer (very rocky) on Flows with Gorilla Tape and Stan’s sealant. Just 4 or 5 minor cuts to the rear tyre between knobs, and the sealant got me home every time. I’ve just bought more of the same.

rocketbike
    Free Member

Mixed opinions so far then..

I think in the first instance I could try running one tubeless on the back. Need to do something as fed up with the weight of 2.5 UST minions. Like riding with cement wheels – such terrible acceleration. Could probably save weight running the exos with tubes compared with the UST! Will have to check the figures.
    Rode a mates DH bike running Hans dampf and tubes on mavic crossmax SX recently and I loved the way it accelerates after braking – it just takes off. Meanwhile I am flat out pedalling trying to wind mine back up.

rocketbike
    Free Member

For info on my wheelset: current wheel set: hope pro 2 with mavic 823 36h front and Hadley SDH with mavic 823 36h rear.
    Have a set of deemax ultimate also which I haven’t fitted yet.

Northwind

Just to throw out an alternative, Specialized’s Butcher SX works well as a lighter weight dh tyre- it’s not officially tubeless ready or UST but goes up and seals like it is. Tough enough for me and basically a slightly improved Minion copy. Only real downside is no choice of compounds, it could be stickier- no supertacky equivalent.

rocketbike
    Free Member

Will take a look at those. Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis HR 2.5 UST vs the newer 2.3 Exo HRII TR for DH – are they as reliable?’ is closed to new replies.