Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Maxxis Exo sidewalls – any good?
  • wl
    Free Member

I’m trying to dump some weight out of both my bikes and lighter tyres is an obvious start. I usually run dual ply Maxxis on my full-sus and the back of my hardtail (I like to run low pressures, so dual ply helps avoid pinch flats) but I’m thinking of switching to Evo sidewalls – pricey but light. Anyone know how they roll compared to dual ply, what the profile is like, and whether the sidewalls are as tough as Maxxis claim? Probably more interested in their resistance to pinch flats at low pressure than their resistance to slashed sidewalls. Any experiences/tips welcome. Ta.

GHill

My last two rear tyres have been Maxxis EXOs, and both have failed at the sidewalls. The whole tyre(s) was pretty worn though, so I wouldn’t count it as damning evidence.

Will be looking at different manufacturers for a replacement.

wl
    Free Member

Thanks GHill – did they tear, or do they just get weak and lead to pinch flats through a lack of support?

GHill

One tear and one slightly weird delamination that mis-shaped the tyre.

wl
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound good. Cheers for the info.

IFonly

put them on my bike to lighten it up for the begineers week @ bike verbier w/c 25th August but have had pinch flat after pinch flat so back to dual ply.

wl
    Free Member

Ta IFonly. Not looking promising for Exos. I’m at Bike Verbier that week too – see you there.

IFonly

look forward to meeting up, Phil says it will be a week of all begineers, there are 6 in are group how many with you?

wl
    Free Member

Me and three friends. I will have been out there for a week already – my friends arrive on the 25th. If you haven’t been before, you’re in for a proper treat – it’s amazing out there, and Phil & Lucy run a superb operation. Look forward to meeting you.

wl
    Free Member

bump

stevede
    Free Member

I have exo cased tyres on my Five which is set up as a more sturdy bike (36’s, 1×10, chain guide, wide bars, short stem etc etc) that does a bit of everything, i don’t run the tyres as low as i could with dual ply’s but still low enough to get good grip, i push them quite hard riding techy rocky trails as well as dh at Gawton and they hold up pretty well. I have a 2.5 st minion dhf up front and a 2.4 hr2 60a on the rear. Yes they are a lot lighter and as a consequence aren’t as tough but the trade off is a happy medium for me – don’t go silly on the pressures and you’ll be fine.
    As a comparison i’d say they are similar, possibly tougher than continentals protection casing on my Barons.

mrbump
    Free Member

i think they are very good. i would say they are half way between single ply and dual ply as in pinch flat resistance. you can’t run them with as low pressures as duals but lower pressures than singles. i would recommend them for AM, gravity enduro and some DH (depending on track and rider).
    i would not be using dual ply’s for anything exccept for fast full on DH tracks.

j3ffo
    Free Member

I like them. Running Minion EXO front for Italy trip / gravity enduro type riding and has been great. Easy to inflate tubeless too.

wl
    Free Member

Cheers for these. MIght stick with a dual ply back because I like the option of going super-soft on long rocky descents, eg Lakes. Might also stick with dual ply in the Alps but go Exo for the UK on my full-sus.

Stevede – ta for the detail – sounds like the kind of set-up I’ll run. Interestingly, I have a Baron to try too. Gonna stick it up front. Do you rate yours?

stevede
    Free Member

The Baron is a great tyre, mine didn’t hold up to hard riding on the back but the front was very good – even for dh. Think for harder riding this winter I’ll run a baron up front and a der baron on the rear. they roll really well for there tread pattern too (black chilli compound).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Exo sidewalls – any good?’ is closed to new replies.