Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Maxxis car tyres
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I want some cheap tyres these are cheap and for bikes everyone raves about them. Other options for dead cheap tryes that wont kill me. Any opinions?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Continental – brilliant car tyres, cr4p MTB tyres
    Maxxis – brilliant bike tyres, cr4p car tyres

joolsburger
    Free Member

I don’t need performance tyres I drive a slow car slowly. Why are they crap?

My Type R needed bridgestones that cost £140 each they were shite in the rain. Don’t all new tyres have to pass some sort of test or something?

Xylene
    Free Member

Maxxis MA=P1’s have been great for me.

Planning on another set

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Budget car tyres are a bad idea – you wouldn’t put budget tyres on your bike would you? Worth shelling out for something a bit more expensive IMO.

joolsburger
    Free Member

My bike tyres are Verts 13 quid work brilliantly in all conditions and I’m told I’m not slow..So yes I would.

I’ve been quoted for Nexen, Marshall, Maxxis and a few others all around 60-65 quid Dunlops are 130 each. My bangernomics experiment is going to go up the swanny if I spend 500 quid on tyres when I could spend half that..

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

jools – it’s not always about performance! Otherwise I’d recommend semi slicks!

Bike tyres are a bit different – you don’t usually risk aquaplaning at 60/70 with your family at risk on an MTB.

Marshall’s aren’t bad.

What car is it for? Goodyear do lots of great tyres at decent prices.

If there’s one thing I wouldn’t budget on too much on a car, it’s tyres. More cost doesn’t automatically mean better tyres but it’s a very rough guide.

Bridgestones for example are big bucks but often cr4p.

sssimon
    Free Member

nexen 2000 probably the only budget tyre I’ve been impressed with, in the mid range kumho are hard to beat

ssboggy

Got maxxis van pros on the front of my Vivaro and so far they have done about 20,000miles and still have plenty of life left in them so i’m pretty happy with that

joolsburger
    Free Member

HRV 205 60 16 which is a crap size!

I’ve been offered Nexens at 60 quid a corner and I need 4 so I may go with them. On performance cars I’ve always spent the cash but I have a new approach to motoring and 520 for tyres does not figure in it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My parents had them on the focus and aren’t dead.

Read a test on car tyres in what car weekly (or somesuch nonsense) very scientificaly done, and they weren’t finding huge gulfs in performance, and quite often the ‘expensive’ tyres were only a couple of percent better than the mid range ones, there were a few really cheep ones that scored 85/100 (100 = best in that test) in the worst tests which might be worrying, but then I have firestones, so what do I know :-p

thepurist

Ford, VW et al. have started fitting Kumhos to their new cars. I expect their people have done more investigating than even the most ardent car-nut on here has, and they probably don’t want zillions of lawsuits for selling tyres that aren’t fit for purpose, Kumhos might be worth a look.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Jools – TBH I think the Nexens will be okay. Falkens and Kumhos worth a quick look too – about the same price.

timc
    Free Member

surf-mat in over thinking it shocker…

Jimbo
    Free Member

Most Kuhmos are alreet: run Ecsta KU31s on the Maserati, and Kuhmo something-or-others on the 146 runabout, and they’re all jolly good!

stumpy01

+1 for Kumho KU31’s.

Vredestein Hi-Tracs are also worth a look if you can get them in that size.

Camskill have got the Kumho’s for a good price. Not fitted, but that’s not gonna add a massive amount…..

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m62b0s741p15887

Naranjada
    Free Member

Have to agree with surf_mat re maxxis car tyres – I got a set (forget what model but they were the proper rating) as new fronts on my 115bhp focus diesel and they were awful; lack of grip in wet & very squirmy when pushed. i put them on the back (where they were fine) and replaced the fronts with vredestein sportracs which are in a different league for not much more in cost.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Check Uniroyal Rain-somethings, I’ve found them in Northern Ireland at £52.50 a wheel fitted. Have a guess what my car’ll be having.

sssimon
    Free Member

menat to say always been ku31 kuhmos I’ve run 2, 2 different sets on a focus, one set on an a6 and now a set on a 106, all have been nicely predictable, grippy, good in the wet and pretty hard wearing

joolsburger
    Free Member

Khumos are a tenner more might get two of each Khumo and Nexen and see how that goes.

Thanks for all the comments/advice.

J

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Kuhmos, nexens are what we fit quite a lot of at work (ford dealer) not bad value for money , also take a look at Avon tyres.

damitamit
    Free Member

Falken ZE-912s here…

scotabroad

I dont use them but Falkens get rave reviews on the BMW user forums in terms of value for money and performance.

a11y

scotabroad – I’d heard the same (also from BMW forums) and fitted Falken FK452s to mine as a result. Very impressed and a fraction of the price of the dreaded run-flats.

Best of the budget brands are Kuhmo and Falken.

I’m currently considering Nankang winter tyres for my van though. Nankang summer/general tyres are generally shite but the winter ones get decent user reviews.

Northwind

My Kumhos seem decent enough, I don’t ask an awful lot of them but they stop and go and were well priced.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis car tyres’ is closed to new replies.