Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • MAXXIS Bike racks – experiences?
  • arcascomp
    Free Member

Hi,

I drive a 4×4 with the spare on the back – yeah, fine, hate me – it burns old veggie oil so my green conscience is clear!

So, given the vehicle I really need to use a towball mounted carrier. The roof is too high (too many height barriers on car parks) for roofbar mounted ones and the spare is not really strong enough for that style of mount. I prefer not to put the bikes inside the car.

I currently have a basic two prong bike hanger style tow bar fitting that sticks out past the spare – works fine, but the bikes will always rub against each other – especially when the full 4 bikes are on. MAXISS racks have top tube clamps, does this solve the rubbing issue?

I like the ones with wheel trays, but as far as I can tell these don’t cope with a full rear mounted spare without losing a bike space on the rack.

So, long story, but looking for MAXISS owners to comment on how good are these racks??

Cheers,

Craig.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Do you mean MaxxRaxx?

andyl
    Free Member

^ I was thinking MaxxRaxx too.

thegreatape
    Free Member

If you do mean MaxxRaxx, I had one and rated it. Only got rid because my wife couldn’t lift bikes onto it.

arcascomp
    Free Member

Ooops! Yeah I meant MaxxRaxx – wasn’t very awake this morning obviously!

Sir H – I have an Aiston rack just now, not a wheel support one, but the chap who makes them is desperately trying to retire! and while it’s good, it is a little ‘agricultural!

andyl
    Free Member

Do you have a bolt on tow bar or a swan neck? First thing to check. Second is your bikes are suitable for the type of rack. Other than that only really heard good things. Not used one myself.

ThePinkster

I’ve got a Maxxraxx rack, had it for years and been really impressed with it.

The only reason I don’t use it at the moment is that my current car has a swan neck towbar and although I originally had the swan neck adaptor fitted it’s not compatible with Alko caravan stabilisers so had to remove it.

A couple of things to be aware of – the strap clamping the top tube in place can scuff the paintwork a little bit. If you have a swan neck you’ll also need to go to one of Maxxraxx’s authorised dealers to get the adaptor fitted.

Other than that they’re great.

grizedaleforest

I’ve been using one for years on an old Honda CRV.

I like it because it’s a simple bit of kit comprising two lengths of metal that are easily stowed in the boot. Once you’ve got the knack, it’s minutes to get the rack installed and the bikes on it. You may well need the optional support bars that sit under the handlebars and seat: this sits the bikes more horizontal and avoids the scuffing problem with the tension straps.

Disadvantages are that the bikes can move around a bit; I wrap a bit of karrimat around forks to stop them banging against chainstays. I’ve had 3 bikes on the rack, but it needs additional stay support if you do that to reduce the flex on bumps (x2 straps that need to fasten to the top of the tailgate).

But by and large I think they’re a good solution.

arcascomp
    Free Member

Cheers for the feedback guys – it’s a bolt on tow ball so no issues there, was kinda hoping to avoid all the chopped up karrimat to save bikes banging against each other – guess thats what the racks with the wheel support trays give.

The Aiston I have has two arms and would probably support a pallet, the thing is rock solid! However, all the bikes need to be strapped together with stuff inbetween to reduce rubbing which always takes ages to set up, was hoping that a MaxxRaxx would solve that issue, maybe not worth the spend then.

ThePinkster

I found that pipe insulation is a quick & simple fix for the rubbing problem.

Depending on how many bikes you’re carrying it’s very simple to space them quite far apart with a Maxxraxx too as the cradles slide on their mounting bar when not strapped in place.

Maxxraxx have very good customer support too, and every part except the swan neck adaptor can be purchased separately so if you need more cradles or a shorter top bar you can buy them instead of a complete new rack.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘MAXXIS Bike racks – experiences?’ is closed to new replies.