• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Maxxis Beaver 2.25 – What is the closest 650b Maxxis (or other?)
  • hora
    Free Member

Disheartened to see that the Beaver is only available in 2.0 in 650b. I personally found that a 2.25 Beaver on the front can be run ALL year round.

Anything else? The Shorty looks like it has bigger treads?

stevied
    Free Member

The Shorty is a brilliant tyre. Rolls surprisingly well and, in 3C, grips exceedingly well even on harder trails.
    Crossmark is also very good..

AlexSimon

I have a shorty and haven’t used it yet as it looks like a full-on DH tread to me.
    Didn’t know that the Beaver was only 2.0 – very odd.

hora
    Free Member

It also came (rare) in 2.25 which made it just right. 2.0 was/is just too narrow if you want to run it most of the year 🙁

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

The Shorty is a brilliant tyre. Rolls surprisingly well and, in 3C, grips exceedingly well even on harder trails.

Got one in the cupboard for up front when it is a bit gloopy, but thinking a Beaver on the back during the winter might be a good combo to keep things rolling a bit quicker. I’m assuming although the Shorty rolls “surprisingly well”, not so well you’d want it front and back?

SirHC

The crossmark is a dry conditions tyre and tbh the ardent race is a far better option.

As an all round front tyre, I’d recommend the minion for the front.

hora
    Free Member

I bought 2xArdents for now to keep me going but towards Autumn I’ll need a Beaver-like tyre for the front. Then 2xBeavers for winter.

drovercycles
    Free Member

It depends on the type of riding – of course – but judging by what tyres you’ve mentioned, I’d consider something like:

Ardent/Ardent or Ardent Race/Ardent in the summer
    Ardent/High Roller II in the autumn
    Beaver/Shorty in the winter gloop

In each case rear/front.

The only problem with the Shorty – which appears to be an excellent tyre when you can get hold of them – is that the bigger knobbles than the Beaver don’t clear mud quite as well so while it’s very grippy (and rolls pretty well too) it does have a tendency to clog up which is one of the best things about the Beaver in the mud.

Northwind

Shorty is brilliant but a bit more full-on. I’m happy pedalling mine around for everyday stuff but it’s definitely harder work than a beaver.

I dunno, WTB Vigilante? Specialized Butcher? Again more full-on but even though it’s a different sort of tyre, actually covers the same ground pretty well

stevied
    Free Member

I’m assuming although the Shorty rolls “surprisingly well”, not so well you’d want it front and back?

DHRII on the back in the winter. Tried a HR2 and it slipped around and really struggled in the gloop.
    Not run a Shorty in really sticky mud yet but in the loamy, off-piste stuff it does clear well.
    Might give a Beaver a shot this winter, how does the 2″ size up on a Flow rim? Sounds like they could be a good combo with a Shorty 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I tried the Minion F a few times – really couldn’t get on with it.

Pinkbike like the Vigilante- good call Northwind:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/wtb-vigilante-team-issue-275-tire-review-2014.html

hora
    Free Member

Think I’ll take a chance and dip my toe into into WTB Vigilante’s for once 8)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Beaver 2.25 – What is the closest 650b Maxxis (or other?)’ is closed to new replies.