• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Maxxis Aspen anybody?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Idly considering one for the back

Appears to be slightly more gnar than a CrossMark and maybe more XC than an Ardent

Anyone use them?

Ta

mikewsmith
    Free Member

more XC than an Ardent

Ardent Race?

weeksy

it’s very much XC, very very. Tread is minimal and whilst it gives grip… it’s about as much as a Rocket Ron.

BadlyWiredDog

I found the sidewalls a bit flimsy and the levels of grip quite low, though it’s fast rolling. I’d rather use either an Ardent Race as above – not as fast, but tougher and grippier, great rear tyre – or an Ikon. Both those have an EXO option.

sam_underhill

I’ve just popped one on. I haven’t quite got the clearance for a 2.25 ARdent Race / Ikon on the rear of my XC bike so a 2.1 Aspen fits a treat. I suspect it will be a bit more fragile than the EXO based tyres, but it is very light and should be fast.

SirHC

Have an Ardent Race on the back of my trance. A lot more grip and side bite than the crossmark I was using before, quicker rolling and more predictable than an Ardent.

Clink

I was always impressed by mine – far more grippy than tread suggests. Sidewall is the only issue. Great summer rear tyre for xc.

ivorlott
    Free Member

+1 on grip, gives more than expected and predictable grip too.

Rolls very well, but does wear fairly quickly, but that’s to be expected from a low profile tread.

Very happy with them as a summer XC tyre though.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

As per clink. Fast. Way grippier than it looks. Nice modern Maxxis carcass size. Sadly only made in exception spec, which is way too weedy to rely on in ‘teh gnar’.

rocketman
    Free Member

Ok thanks fellas

The retro throwback 26″ Aspens are quite reasonable I might throw one on and see what happens

moonboy
    Free Member

I like mine, ran on the front round the trails of Bristol for a couple of years. As other say, grip better than the tread pattern would suggest.

If they’re cheap then I’d say go for it!

Conti X-king black chilli for me is gripper and no slower so is now my tyre du jour

digga
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    it’s very much XC, very very. Tread is minimal and whilst it gives grip… it’s about as much as a Rocket Ron.

^This.

Don’t even consider if you ride rocky bits or like a bit of a play on the jumps. I managed to snakebite a properly inflated 29er Aspen on the newly-resurfaced (i.e. smooth and not rutted) “Son of Chainslapper” section on Cannock Chase’s “Follow your Dad” trail.

moonboy
    Free Member

Whereas… I’ve had maybe 1 flat in the last year on aspen. And have used them for the Dyfi and C-o-B enduros without incident.

Maybe I’m too much of a mincer!

swanny853

The 2.3 aspens that you could get in 26 were one of my favourite rear tyres. Grippier than they had any right to be (although still not very ina straight line, look at them!), really decent volume, the casing was not exception so lasted well (even Scottish rocks) and of course rolled quickly.

In summary, excellent summer rear tyre in the large size. Also have the 2.1 in 29 and its fine but not the same sweet spot.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I was using one until about Christmas time, couldn’t get it to tubeless so put a Captain on the back as I was fed up with punctures. I’d still have it on if I could have been bothered trying to get it tubeless, think I would have needed to put more tape on as it was a bit loose if I remember right. They can break away very quickly on wet grass once they’re a bit worn though, so quick they’ll try and overtake the front.

jimw
    Free Member

Aspen is my usual choice for the rear tyre in the summer in 29″ form on both hard tail and f/s. As has been said above, more grip than you would expect looking at it. Few if any punctures ( damn, shouldn’t have said that, my summer outings will now be spent with my tyre levers out)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Aspen anybody?’ is closed to new replies.