• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by akak.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Maxxis Ardent or Advantage, which combo etc?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

at the mo im running a maxxis medusa front & advantage rear…finding the rear a little sketchy on climbs, slipping etc, it seems quite narrow too (only do a 2.1ust version which im running)….

ive heard decent things about the ardent, and at 2,25 is suppose to be quite large (hence me thinking it will give greater grip for climbing loose stuff), am wondering whether to swap the advantage out back for one of these 2,25 usts and stick the advantage on the front when mud goes…..

ive got a crossmark ust for super dry (mid summer months) for the rear, which is great….

alot of people say the advantage and ardent are very similar, which seems silly given they are the same brand, surely there must be some differences or whats the point in having two seperate tyre names etc

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anybody?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ardent is a much lower tread profile.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    terrahawk
    Free Member

no idea, but I’m using an Ardent 2.4″ on the front only of my 29er and it’s BRILLIANT.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+1 Ardent user LUST 2.25 front and rear. Awsome all round tyres. 20psi in winter. I found Medusa wasnt very good on roots or rocks, sort of spun out or slipped.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Had Advantages (Exception series, tubeless ready as opposed to UST) on front & rear of my FS for 15 months without any worries. (Might change to a Ground Control when I need to cos theyr’e a bit lighter.)

rudedog
    Free Member

What type of riding do you do?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers for the replies so far guys!

pawsy bear where is your riding mostly based?

rudedog im peak area, so lots of rocks etc, loose gravel/mud etc etc….the advantage is a good grippy tyre but its narrow and im just wondering the if the larger volume ardent will grip a bit more….

RestlessNative
    Free Member

2.1 advantage grips better for climbing than a 2.25 ardent i reckon

I’ve tried so many maxxis combos!

currently
    2.4 ardent front / 2.25 crossmark rear on the (broken) rigid bike

2.35 high roller front / 2.1 advantage rear on the full suss

I never got on with advantage up front, the ardent drifts more controlably I find

davewalsh
    Free Member

I run an Ardent on the rear of one bike and it’s a great tyre at everything but mud. I’ve also run an Advantage on the back of the same bike and it copes with mud much better than the Ardent. I’m currently running the Advantage on the front with a Storm Control on the rear, which I’m finding very good in muddy conditions.

Try swapping the Advantage and Medusa around !

erny
    Free Member

2.35 high roller on the front 2.35 ignitor on the rear both tubeless works for me riding in the peak,lakes and wales

amodicumofgnar

Going for a bit of a mix and match, at the moment I’m on:
    F: Advantage / R: Ardent but there’s usually more grit than muck on my winter rides

If its a damp to dry spring:
    F: Advantage / R: Cross Mark

Dry summer:
    F: Ardent / R: Cross Mark

merlinshearer
    Free Member

Ooo goodie another tyre tart!

Running Panaracer Trailrakers for real muddy gloop!

Ardent 2.25 Front / Aspen 2.25 Rear for trail centres or Ardent 2.25 F&R

For real dry conditions Ignitor 1.9 Front and Larsen TT 1.9 rear

Am struggling for Spring/Autum combo but currently running 2.1 Ignitors – they are ok but still not 100% sure!

Ride South Lincolnshire, natural trails etc etc

Northwind

Oscillate Wildly – Member

ive heard decent things about the ardent, and at 2,25 is suppose to be quite large

Pretty much spot on the claimed size- people only think they come up large because they’re used to being fibbed to by Maxxis.

sambob
    Free Member

I’ve got 2.25 Advantage front and rear, really good tyres even in the 70A wire compound, tough enough for the Peaks too. Did i ever send you a route around Hayfield? Can’t remember doing it, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t.

akak
    Free Member

I also have an advantage rear – its a bit neutral in my view. Performance would probably be better with a mud tyre for winter and a faster tyre for summer. I might stick it on the front when I get tired of the high roller…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Ardent or Advantage, which combo etc?’ is closed to new replies.