Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Maxxis Ardent and Advantage
  • cubemeup
    Free Member

im thinking about changing my Fat Alberts and trying a mix of these two tyres. anyone of u lot ride with these tyres just for some feed back.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Advantage 2.1 is my favourite all-round trail tyre.

cubemeup
    Free Member

im thinking of the 2.4 for XC and DH rather than changing them all the time

h4muf
    Free Member

What Buzz said.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The 2.4 is big. The 2.2 is roughly the size of a high roller, but it has a rounder profile and lower central lugs.

I’d like to try the Ardent myself.

Davesport

The ADvantage 2.25’s I find a good comprimise between grip & rolling resistance. Not a massive amount of tread depth on them so not the best for gloop. As pointed out, about the same size as a 2.35 High Roller. I like them & have ordered some of the 2.4’s to see what they’re like. They are huge apparently 8)

rep341
    Free Member

Advantage- 2.25 or thereabouts-
    Big volume
    Light weight
    has been good to me on a variety of terrain and different bikes
    Had a thought that it may be a bit rear specific so put a Toro on the front for more steering – it was TERRIBLE- straight back on the with Advantage!!

Nonsense
    Free Member

2.25 is the best choice. I found the 2.1 exception too fragile and the 2.4 is mahoosive. I run a 2.25 crossmark on the back for a bit of free speed. Mud X in winter though.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I have 2.4s f&r of the 456ss. Love them to bits, I’ve actually ditched a fork as it wouldn’t take the tyre.
    Mind you, 22PSI on tarmac is dddddrrrrraaagggggyyyyyy…..

Onzadog
    Free Member

I wish they did the 2.4 in a lust.

foureyes
    Free Member

ive managed most the year with advantage big on the rear, its fast and although shallow the breakout seems to be fun instead of terrifying. tbh if i could afford a new winteryer tyre i would swap it out but actually its good enough. (on a squiggly full suss so plenty of contact with the ground)

Jeffus
    Free Member

I have 2.25 Advantage on my hardtail really great trail tyre, quite quick rolling and predictable grip, and on my Suspension bike I have Minion 2.35 super tacky upfront with a 2.25 Ardent rear the Ardent is as big as the Minion and has great grip and gives a nice steady breakaway on the rear, a good combo, not tried it in any mud yet.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I went with Ardents 2.25 on both ends after being recommended by Matt at 18 Bikes and he was spot on. I love the Ardents and reckon I’ve found my perfect all year tyre.

forgotmename
    Free Member

The Ardents are no good at all in the mud, and the light ones are easy to puncture, tho i think they are great in dry hard conditions.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2.1 Advantage on the back. Great in the dry. Nothing amazing to report but it’s just a good, predictable, high volume tyre. Totally useless in the mud though. Slips all over the place.

james
    Free Member

“The 2.2 is roughly the size of a high roller”
    The 2.25″ overall (volume + tread) is almost identical to a 2.5″ high roller (high roller has taller tread, slightly smaller volume I reckon)

The 2.35″ High Roller is slightly bigger than a 2.1″ Advantage, again HR tread is taller. So maybe the volume is about the same, I’ve not looked that hard

(As with all tyres, rim profiles will make a difference. Between Mavic XM719’s and DT EX5.1Ds 2.35″ HRs look like completely different sizes. The mavics seem to hold more tyre as bead reducing sidewall available to make up the volume, though the (wider) DT’s seem harder to put the tyres on)

I like the big cushioning volume of my 2.25″ advanatges, though they can’t dig into surface slime all too well
    The weight is pretty good for the size, though the sidewalls can wear (I’ve tried patching one), standard tubes just won’t work , not (just?) because of the thin sidewalls but because it takes ~20psi to stretch the tube to the size of the tyre. The tube is then very thin and I needed 50-60psi to resist pinch flats. (~300g) 1.2mm maxxis freeride tubes are(/were my) the answer

The rounded profile gained by using seemingly the same size side tread to middle tread (I reckon would be awesome if they used the HR/Minion side tread), meant I hated them above about 35psi as they didn’t seem to want to corner, less than around 30psi although they seem to be deforming to the trail and seemed to corner well enough they did loose stability/rigidity being a bit wobbly and constantly worrying about pinchflatting them in really rocky stuff

I reckon 2.35″ HRs (60a. fold.) ride better almost everywhere (inc. mud, and I reckon roll faster, esp. road), just they’re around the same weight but a fair bit smaller (and much less ‘cushy’ to ride)

james
    Free Member

“The 2.2 is roughly the size of a high roller”
    The 2.25″ overall (volume + tread) is almost identical to a 2.5″ high roller (high roller has taller tread, slightly smaller volume I reckon)

The 2.35″ High Roller is slightly bigger than a 2.1″ Advantage, again HR tread is taller. So maybe the volume is about the same, I’ve not looked that hard

(As with all tyres, rim profiles will make a difference. Between Mavic XM719’s and DT EX5.1Ds 2.35″ HRs look like completely different sizes. The mavics seem to hold more tyre as bead reducing sidewall available to make up the volume, though the (wider internally) DT’s seem harder to put the tyres on?)

I like the big cushioning volume of my 2.25″ advanatges, though they can’t dig into mud all too well
    The weight is pretty good for the size, though the sidewalls can wear (I’ve tried patching one), standard tubes just won’t work , not (just?) because of the thin sidewalls but because it takes ~20psi to stretch the tube to the size of the tyre. The tube is then very thin and I needed 50-60psi to resist pinch flats. (~300g) 1.2mm maxxis freeride tubes are the(/were my) answer

The rounded profile gained by using seemingly the same size side tread to middle tread (I reckon would be awesome if they used the HR/Minion side tread), meant I hated them up front above about 35psi as they didn’t seem to want to corner, less than around 30psi although they seem to be deforming to the trail and seemed to corner well enough they did loose stability/rigidity being a bit wobbly and constantly worrying about pinchflatting them in really rocky stuff

I reckon 2.35″ HRs (60a. fold.) ride better almost everywhere (inc. mud, and I reckon roll faster, esp. road), just they’re around the same weight but a fair bit smaller (and much less ‘cushy’ to ride)

Alex

I had the 2.25 tubeless Ardents on my ST4 and they were HUGE. Lots of grip and volume. Used on a pyrenees trip but a bit too monstrous for here. 2.1 ADvantage LUST ready to go on and I loved those on the demo ST4 I rode. Great all round tyre and definitely big enough even as a 2.1.

If you are running tubeless, the 2.25 Ignitor is also a great all conditions tyre.

scotabroad

As said above both good all round tyres.

I found the folding advantage too weak in the sidewalls and split them far too soon when minions and high rollers took it in their stride, so I would recommend wire beaded ones if you have much rock around.

Recently I put 2.1 Ardents on my hardtail and have been very impressed with them, they roll faster and have just about the same side grip, and although they have a shallow tread pattern they are pretty good in general mud and loose stuff but I am a heavyweight so that will help add friction to them. They even grip well in the snow. Steer clear of 2.4 Advantage they are huge.

blurltrider
    Free Member

2.4 ardents and advantages are big but I’ve used them all year on all types of trail and they’ve been brilliant.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I found the kevlar bead 2.1 ADv pinched too easily on the rear. The wire bead one doesn’t pinch. I run 30f/35r without probs, but it’s not very rocky here and I’m not lightening fast though corners.

mooman
    Free Member

I run a 2.4 Advantage on front and a 2.35 swampy on back. Superb grip for the natural steep forestry trails I ride …. Infact, best combination i have ever tried.

cubemeup
    Free Member

there we go then mooman think i will try it out!!

nille
    Free Member

Hi guys,

First post, so please be gentle! 🙂
    I was thinking about replacing my Fat Alberts that were originally fitted to my Cube Stereo with a high volume tire like the 2.4 advantage to compensate for the relatively low bottom bracket. I am a bit concerned though as to whether they will fit into my fork (Fox Talas RLC) and frame. Could anybody who got a 2.4” Advantage maybe measure the width and post the result. Anybody able to compare them to the Fat Alberts?

Cheers,
    Nille

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Ardent and Advantage’ is closed to new replies.