Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Maxxis advice
  • Kiril
    Free Member

I’ve been running tubeless nobby nics for a few months, but managed to get a snake bike puncture (due to my poor riding…) so rather than buy another NN I thought I’d try some different tyres and I have been reading lots of positive comments about Maxxis’ . But which ones to choose? I live in Wiltshire so it’s loamy, rooty (muddy…) cross county stuff but I also fit in trips to Aran and Cwm Carn. Advice welcomed, thanks

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m in Sset which has probably not dissimilar terrain to where you are and like to run ADvs most of the year. IMO, they run a bit like HRs but toned-down somewhat. I.e. the knobs are smaller but still tall and far enough apart enough to dig-in mud a bit, and the edge knobs are near-continuous and re-inforced

In 2.1s (reasonable vol) you can get a 60a kevlar on the front and a 70 wire on the back. In 2.2s (noticeable more vol) I think you can only get 60a.

mart
    Free Member

Yep, I’m riding in Wiltshire with weekend trips to Wales. Can’t fault Advantages.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

2.1 Advantages are fine for muddy Hampshire
    <thread hijack>
    Interested in opinions on 2.1 or 2.25 for Afan / cwm carn

mart
    Free Member

2.25 is as small as I’ve used. I reckon I’d only entertain 2.1 if I was obsessed with rolling resistance and subsequent speed. If that was the case, I’d probably move away from Advantages and look at Aspens.

Northwind

No idea why you’d choose a tyre by brand first then by model tbh. B

ut the 2.25 Advantage is alright. Clears mud very well so it works better in slop than you’d think. Quite on-off grip though and it’s got the trademark maxxis horrible bit in between straight line and hard cornering. But decently fast for the grip, and tough…

Kiril
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments so far. I think tyre brands are important; car, motorbike, road or mtb. There are some brands that I don’t get on with…Michelin or others that I always liked..Metzelers. So reading the reviews, maxxis of various flavours have had positive feedback and so I’m intrigued and asked for advice. Not sure I like the idea of ” a horrible bit between straight line and cornering” sounds like the old Avon roadrunners to me.

Northwind

I suppose it’s all relative- they do have excellent cornering grip when ridden harder and driven into the trail more, but the tradeoff is that they don’t do quite as well when ridden with less commitment

It depends what you want from a tyre- if you’re convinced you always ride hard then it’s fine, but sometimes I ride slower and it’s pretty uninspiring if they let go in an easy corner ridden slowly- even though I know they’ll grip in the same corner ridden hard, once it happens a few times it can get hard to trust them.

Sorta like the difference between a round tyre, like an old Sportec and a pointier one like a Pilot Power- the PP might well grip better when it’s at the extremes but the Metzeler will work better on the way there- and if it’s hard to get to the extremes then who cares how well they work once you’re there? 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis advice’ is closed to new replies.