Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Maxxis Advantage and Ardent: how do they differ?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Long-term Kenda Nevegal user here, thinking of switching to Maxxis for a change and the Advantage/Ardent look like the smoothest transition.

I ride:

-XC linking up the more technical bits I can find (not many)
    -Mud roots and chalk (not many rocks)

Questions:

How do these two tyres differ? They look fairly similar and the Maxxis website is not much help. I am interested in:

Volume – are these rated like old-school Maxxis (i.e. small compared to Kenda) or new-school Maxxis (~same as Kenda)? Looking for equiv. to 2.1" Nevs.

Grip/rolling resistance – Are there differences between the two? Looking for an 'all-round' tyre

lunge

Not sure about the Ardent, but the ADvantage are a very nice tyre. The are quite big (the 2.25 is bigger than a 2.35 High Roller) and role quite well for that size of tyre. They seem to grip well and are quite progressive when they slide as well.

simonm
    Free Member

Ive got both advantage and Ardent…. I'll take a while to contemplate how they differ…

first thoughts are that I can't pin down massive differences except I found the Ardent awfull in mud, and the advantage better in mud.

Both need banking over hard to get edge grip

Id say the Ardent is marginally faster rolling.. but not a lot in it.

poppa
    Free Member

Ok, so not a whole lot to choose between them then?

hora
    Free Member

Advantage- didnt like it. Average. Yes it grips in mud but not that great to be honest. Just average compared to other tyres. I find it neither here nor there- just an allround average tyre.

The Ardent- Im crackers about the Ardent. Yes its not as grippy in pure mud but how many trails do you ride on that are predominantly mud? Who rides round a muddy field for their kicks?

Swampthing is my winter tyre choice, Ardent is my Spring/summer
    Ardent rear/Swampthing front is my Autumn tyre choice.

Fast and predictable 😀

mttm
    Free Member

Simonm has it pretty much right, I'd just add that the edge tread on the Advantage is more pronounced than on the Ardent, so if aggressive cornering is your thing, go for those in preference. Both run the same compounds and carcasses, so no great differences there.

Hora, do you run quite high pressures? Advantage performs very "averagely" above 30psi (IME), but is transformed below that.

the_lecht_rocks

i struggle to get feedback from the side grip on my [current] ardents … to me they feel vague, but then, they've hardly been ridden in any dry conditions…

hora
    Free Member

Circa 30-35psi. I found the Ardent felt amazing at any psi. Just love it. I stopped using it on the rear in December last year when it snaked/slid out a few times on thickish snow (STW pootle).

Then again- I dont like the High roller either. Find that too tall on tread etc.

Swampt'ing is the way 😀

mttm
    Free Member

Not keen on the HighRoller myself – I find it strictly a one trick tyre. It has it's uses in the right place and compound (downhill, super tacky), but it's one of the least inspiring tyres I've ever tried in 60a as a front fitment. A triumph of tread compound over design… IMO.

Tyres are an amazingly subjective thing, terrain, bodyweight, pressure, weight distribution, style – all make any generalisations questionable at best. But I'll still recommend Advantages when asked!

Jimbo
    Free Member

"Who rides round a muddy field for their kicks?"

Sounds like MTB'ing in the South East…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Advantage and Ardent: how do they differ?’ is closed to new replies.