Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Maxxis Advantage 2.1s
  • simonm
    Free Member

anyone using the 2.1s as a rear tyre in rockier places Lakes / Peaks etc ? good or bad ?

ta

timc
    Free Member

I did earlier this year on my Orange 5, but pinch flats at Garburn & Glentress in quick succession whilst running Highish pressures meant I now have a matching High Roller on the rear.

Great for most things, just not sure about fast rocky bits IMO, of course ill be told I'm shite now 😉

simonm
    Free Member

mmm, thats what I'm wondering with the lower volume.. could do with a 2.25 me thinks.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have the exception 2.1 as a rear tyre most of the time and when dry use it on the front. I really like it and have never had any issues with rocks etc with about 38-40psi in the rear on my full suss.

I have had an exception crossmark rip though so I'd probably avoid that casing and just get the standard one.

timc
    Free Member

They come up big mate! 2.1 advantage isnt much smaller than my 2.35 High Roller, Athough its a more rounded tyre & alot lighter, depends on how your ride, your weight? what bike etc really

deffo faster rolling, no as much grip (but Enough)but also not a tough…

IA

2.1 fine here in rocky places etc. all over, mounted on a 717. Std casing though.

Great tyre, I'd get another. Timc is obviously shite 😉

parkedtiger
    Free Member

I was using a single ply 2.25 Advantage on the rear – but it doesn't take much to tear up the sidewalls (North Lakes).

simonm
    Free Member

On a ST4, riding up in the lakes for the first time this weekend and just picking tyres off the wall to see what to use..

Front is Advantage 2.4 (I know big but fun and OK rolling)

Given its going to rain (suprise!) for the Rear I've got the choice of,

2.1 Small block 8
    2.1 Advantage exception 60a
    2.3 Eskar S-works
    2.2 Captain S-works
    2.35 swamp thing 1ply 60a
    2.35 Nevegal
    2.2 Ardent

Was going to run ardent on the back if its dryer as I don't get on with it in the rain when its slippy (like in Grizedal)…

Choices choices…

nickc

wasn't madly impressed with 2.1 advantage, it was OK as a general tyre I guess, but not mad levels of grip.

IA

Yeah but you get grip or speed. It's a nice balance. Depends how bothered you are about going quickly I guess.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Currently my fav all-condition compromise tyre. I put the 70a wire bead one on the rear of my HT – the 60a kevlar bead pinch-flatted too easily with my clumsy riding style. 😳

Volume is big for 2.1. Strong continuous side knobs, but less shoulder and lower centre tread than HRs. Sidewalls are a bit vulnerable for continuously rocky riding IMO. Exception casing would be better for that. How about an LUST Ignitor?

IA

got a lust ignitor on the front, ace tyre. Not a fan on the back tho.

simonm
    Free Member

Ive only got choice of one of these (!!! I know its a lot of tyres to have sat in the garage)

2.1 Small block 8
    2.1 Advantage exception 60a
    2.3 Eskar S-works
    2.2 Captain S-works
    2.35 swamp thing 1ply 60a
    2.35 Nevegal
    2.2 Ardent

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Advantage 2.1s’ is closed to new replies.