Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Maxxis 3C compound – real world difference?
  • CalamityJames
    Free Member

Has anybody used the 3C compound and the standard EXO casing, is there a noticeable difference in terms of grip?
    Would running an EXO type at a lower pressure have a similar effect? Looking at Minions or HR2s on the front.

duir
    Free Member

EXO is the casing, 3C is the compound.

EXO is in between single and double wall.

3C is similar feeling to super tacky.

3C EXO front/60a EXO rear is a great combination, HRII or Minion.

clubby

Great dry grip and on rocky stuff, but spendy and wear quickly. No better than standard compound in damp conditions. I’ll save my money next time and go for the 60a Exo. HR2 btw.

tomaso
    Free Member

Gripy but not as sqiudgy and energy sapping as a super tacky

Northwind

It’s not as sticky as supertacky but still pretty effective imo- much faster, stickier than maxxpro especially on wet rocks and that. HR2 for a quick-ish allrounder here.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Was wet conditions I was more interested in. Currently have Minion DHF and/or HR2 as all year tyres, just wondering if the 3C would be noticeably grippier on wet roots etc. The new Shorty looks good but reluctant to buy one for just a few months of slop (always weather optimistic!).

rocketman
    Free Member

…wondering if the 3C would be noticeably grippier on wet roots etc

On wet roots and rocks compound is more important than tread pattern and its here that the 3C Minion and HR excel. Not so hot in loose dry conditions though I find the softer grippier shoulders tend to squirm rather than digging in

bowglie

CJ, how do you find the Minion DHF and HR2 compare? Reason I ask is ‘cos MaxxPro DHF’s used to be one of my favourite 26er tyres – much preferred them to the original HR’s. Do the HR2’s still suit a more aggressive riding style to the DHF’s?

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Ran the HR2s since mid last year and love them, feel great in every situation and the transition between the centre lugs and edge is more consistent than that of the original HRs (and even the DHFs). I’m finding the DHFs have the split second feeling of letting go and gripping again, but I’ve only been running them since late summer since it got sloppy/ wetter. I felt the DHFs would make a good winter tyre as most of my riding is roots and off camber woods. The DHFs have more grip hands down but IMO the HR2 suits me better as I don’t have the temporary panic of feeling I’ve lost the front. Maybe I just need to get used to them than wonder is a 3C compound would offer more…

chakaping
    Free Member

They’ve lasted really well for me.

It’s super tacky that wear quick.

dans160
    Free Member

I use them all year round, all conditions front and rear. Brilliant tire.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

HR2 great tyre but I accidently bought the 3c ones and rear edge nobs started to break away after 160km. Will be using the normal compound ones from now on. Once the outer nobs begin to break away you loose noticeable support in corners

ianfitz
    Free Member

Really make the trail come alive – in any wheel size!

Sorry couldn’t resist…

bowglie

Cheers for the info CJ – I know what you’re saying with the vague transition on some Maxxis tyres, and it’s what I didn’t like on the old HR. Interesting to hear about the edge knobs breaking away on the 3C version. I’ve had same problem with a Hans Dampf front tyre, but put it down to a couple of weeks Alps riding/shuttling. Sounds like it might be wise to keep 3C for front only(?).

As far as 3C compared to 60a/Maxxpro, Ive tried 3C Ikons front & rear and wasn’t blown away by any big increase in grip over 60a on damp roots and rock, but then I guess a lot of this could be down to the Ikons tread profile and balloon shape,

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis 3C compound – real world difference?’ is closed to new replies.