Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Maximise property potential
  • joepose
    Free Member

Thoughts appreciated:-

Want to try and maximise the profit for my house so that we can move on to better (dont we all, i know). Thing is I bought a piece of land from a neighbour and could potentially build another property on the land. Although I have acces to the front and rear it would spoil the access to the main property if it were split so have been thinkng about a granny annexe or holiday lodge type of build.
    Any thoughts on what that would do to the value? Can only help are my thoughts but whats the best way to maximise the profit so that we can move on to the dream place? Any better ideas?

cynic-al
    Free Member

No clever way of building a proper second property with minimal curtailment of access to yours?

A holiday let might bring in some £, I doubt a granny flat would. But I’m no expert.

br
    Free Member

Also depends on the planning rights you could get.

We wanted to convert one of our outbuildings into a ‘granny’ annex for my folks. They’ve given us permission but said it can’t be a separate house (even though its not attached), so obviously can’t be sold on.

But this suits us as it means we don’t need to put in separate services nor does it mean an additional council tax bill.

wrecker
    Free Member

Whorehouse.

jam-bo

Get outline permission. Sell it.

joepose
    Free Member

Hmmm Whorehouse 🙂

Theres deffinately room to do some kind of build here – what were trying to avoid is selling as it is then coming back to view a year later and see that the new owners have had a brainwave and done what we should have…… if u get my drift???

joepose
    Free Member

Good advise Jam bo – did cross my mind to get the planning and leave the hassle to others

pjm84
    Free Member

Get outline permission. Sell it.

+10000000000000000000000000000

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Theres deffinately room to do some kind of build here – what were trying to avoid is selling as it is then coming back to view a year later and see that the new owners have had a brainwave and done what we should have…… if u get my drift???

Why building costs money with an uncertain return, especially in the current climate. Sold with planning gets you a potentially decent return by doing very little and leaves most of the risk to the next person.

Want to try and maximise the profit for my house so that we can move on to better

If this is your motive stick to it.

andrewh
    Free Member

We wanted to convert one of our outbuildings into a ‘granny’ annex for my folks. They’ve given us permission but said it can’t be a separate house (even though its not attached), so obviously can’t be sold on.

Parents did that years ago, converted a barn into a holiday let.
    10years down the line applied for planning to extend it and have it a separate dwelling and that was granted no problem.

joepose
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Looks like planning permission and sell but what plans would be betsto opt for, full 2nd house, granny annexe or holiday let?

hammerite
    Free Member

Get planning for a full 2nd house.

Don’t worry about compromising the access to the existing house…. you want to move on anyway. Whilst the access situation might not be desirable for you, it always surprises me what other people are happy living with.

There’s a big extended but run down bungalow at the end of our street, large garden. To me you could put a couple of decent sized detached houses there, with good sized gardens/driveways. They’re applying for planning permission for 6 detached houses which must all be on top of each other. I can understand why the owner is doing it, maximising the space and trying to get best value out of the land. Can’t imagine why anyone would want to buy one though. If they get permission I bet they sell quickly!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Maximise property potential’ is closed to new replies.