Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Maxi Scooters – best cheap and reliable options please
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Ok, i’ve decided that street cred is no longer required (nor possible) so it’s time to look at a maxi scooter as a viable cheap form of alternative transport.
    Main reasons: I can no longer be arsed to get into, nor do I fit into my full on motorbike gear.
    We would like a cheap hack for getting to and from the local footie stadium on match days (c’mon the Gulls!).
    We would like to do a bit of light touring, perhaps occasionally venturing on the ferry to France.

Now, things have changed since my 50cc B’Wizz scooter days – there are a whole bunch of big chunky scooters out there. What are the realities of ownership like on them? ie, servicing them at home, reliability, large milages etc.

Ideally i’d like a mint Honda CN250 as I think they look the tits. But then, im a sucker for ugly old retro nonsense. In reality I think something more modern with around 400cc would be much better for sustained A-road/motorway cruising.
    I had half an eye on the Yamaha T-Max a couple of years ago but the prices are are wincingly high.
    Are there any budget options out there that look a little less soul destroyingly naff as a Suzuki Burgman?
    On that note, Burgmans are seemingly cheap as chips. There are a couple of fairly local 2001/02/03 era ones around with between 25 and 40k miles on them for £1000 to £1500 – are these the best sub £2k option?

Learn me up.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Decathlon

slimjim78
    Free Member

whassat? like, Daley Thompson?

br
    Free Member

Hate to imagine what state a 10 y/o scooter will be in, ie underneath all the bodywork.

I reckon you’d best go look at some and just buy the one that looks best cared for.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I don’t mind getting my handsw dirty as long as it doesnt take a degree in engineer to put it all back together.

In fact, I’d really love a Honda Big Ruckus (PS250) in all its industrial glory – but they are import only and still fetch silly money.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Surely we have some in house scooter nerds?

slowoldman

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Maxi Scooters – best cheap and reliable options please’ is closed to new replies.