Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Max size cassette for use with medium cage mech and triple chainset?
  • wishiwascalledsteve

That's it really. Have a triple chainset and a medium cage rear mech i'm using to build a comuter. Just need a new cassette, what is the max size i can use with these?
    Cheers

100mphplus
    Free Member

I run an 11-34 on mine, if you use the shifters correctly then you'll never have a problem.

steve_b77
    Free Member

11-34 on my FS too

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

11-34 easily. Even 44/34 works on mine. TBH I dunno why they bother making long cage mechs full stop when a medium covers everything… 😕

100mphplus
    Free Member

TBH, if it's a commuter you can ditch the granny ring and probably only need an 11-26 max cassette.

njee20
    Free Member

TBH I dunno why they bother making long cage mechs full stop when a medium covers everything

Because with some frames if you go big/big you rip the mech in half…

organic355
    Free Member

As long as you've sized your chain properly this wont happen.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not having any problems on a 150mm travel Pitch…… Well I didn't when I was running a triple. Gone to a double and bash now.

But yeah, on a commuter, a closer ratio cassette is preferable. I'm running 7sp, 11-28, on my commuter and I only use about 4-5 of them with the big ring in over 7 miles. 🙂

wishiwascalledsteve

Cheers for the help guys/girls.

captaindanger

There are some numbers on the shimano tech literature, however I've gone well over them with a short cage on my road bike and it's fine. ~Think sheldon brown or someone has a piece on it

njee20
    Free Member

Well on some frames if you make the chain sufficiently long that'll go big/big, it'll then be rather baggy in small/small. Not saying that's always the case, but in some it is.

Surprisingly, Shimano know more than you guys when it comes to mech capacities…

Cue the muppets saying 'but you shouldn't go small/small' etc.

organic355
    Free Member

Time to dig up this post again, on another ah-em, forum, cough cough!!

its bloody good, tells you everything you need to know about derailleur, chain and cassette sizing.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=205890

organic355
    Free Member

you shouldnt go small-small!!! 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

"YOU SHOULDN'T USE A SMALL/SMALL COMBO!!!"

EDIT
    Curses! Slow internets!! 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Organic wins for use of Kermit too. Sorry.

Should've used this photo too:

3/10, poor.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Max size cassette for use with medium cage mech and triple chainset?’ is closed to new replies.