Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Max chainring size gap for 2×10
  • singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Ok, 3×10 chainset & thinking of going 2×10 as I switch from 9 to 10 speed. Inner will be 23T, wondering what is best to go for middle (now big) ring size. Current ponderings are wanting to maintain top gear, but concerned about compromise that brings at the other end of the scale as it’ll mean dropping to granny ring sooner.
    Gear shifting via Gripshift for front mech (I can’t bear indexed shifting on front mech), so can get away with 9speed front mech.
    Cassette will go from 11-34 to 11-36, offering a little more spread of gears (& allows for slightly larger inner ring)
    So, 36 or 38 middle/big ring?

kiwijohn

26/39 works for me. 22 on the front would just be too low with a 36 on the back.
    I used to run 22/36 with a 11-34 9 speed, but wouldn’t use those rings on 10 speed.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Front will be 23T – not a typo!
    Have 20-34 spread on one bike & have no issues. I ride with a low cadence, so lower gearing helps compared to those who seem to spin 80+ everywhere. Ride varied terrain, some with very steep & technical climbs, so do like to be able to stay on the bike rather than walk.

z1ppy

Was surprised to see that the Whyte 629 has a 24-38 combo & 11-16 cassette, looks too much of a jump, but obviously must work…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Max chainring size gap for 2×10’ is closed to new replies.