Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mavic Crossmax SL Buzzing noise?
  • Nezbo
    Free Member

I was on a ride today and i got a buzzing noise from my rear wheel.

I have been doing some searching around and i think this is not a uncomon problem

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/workshop/17308-servicing-mavic-crossmax-sl-hubs-2006-a.html

Has any one on STW had the same problem?

There is a guy on the above link that says that he has come up with a solution that replaces the plastic bushes with burings, his websire dont work though 🙁 has any one else done this?

onandon
    Free Member

take the freehub off and give it a clean and re-lube.
    its a 15min job its you take it reeeeeeeeealy easy.

flamejob
    Free Member

You may need to replace the bearings in the rear hub. It worked for a friend, though Mavic did it very cheaply at an event in France.

It took us ages to find out what was causing it; sounds like a sporadic stick against the tyre eh?

Nezbo
    Free Member

on and on I have done that but there is still a bit of play 🙁 so i think the bush in the freehub is a bit worne, i know they are only £25ish on CRC.

here is the idea on ebay Bearings on freehub insted of bush I know it is not a shimano but that is the idea, only if i can get the same thing in shimano…

Nezbo
    Free Member

flamejob that is the exact sound. the bearings are fine, so i guess i will just buy a new freehub 🙁

westkipper
    Free Member

Another troubleshooting possiblity-
    I have had rear Ksyriums which developed a buzzing sound that no amount of fiddling with the internals could alter,
    Then , after much stupidity, I had the idea to try the wheel with a different skewer….. BINGO! The various bits of the skewer were indeed rattling against each other.
    I think Mavic use a similar skewer on the MTB wheels, so it might be worth a try first.
    Or, having just read the posts above, maybe not!

Nezbo
    Free Member

west kipper i have shanged my skewers a while ago cos i didnt like the rattleyness of them, so defo not that cheers anyway 🙂

westkipper
    Free Member

Nae bother!, Interestingly I've also had strange noises from Ksyrium freehubs, but more like a metallic scraping sound- went away with time.

Sum
    Free Member

I had a similar noise coming from my Mavic Crossmax SL rear wheel. Looking down I could tell that it was the freehub binding because the chain went slack. Removing the freehub and cleaning/re-lubing it solved the problem.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

i've had the same problem. cleaning solved the problem, but it soon came back. Does the buzzing get faster when you back-pedal?

Nezbo
    Free Member

Scheleschirche not tried back pedaling, but it stops when i pedal forward…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Crossmax SL Buzzing noise?’ is closed to new replies.