Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mavic crossmax enduro wheels Help
  • killerfox2500
    Free Member

I need some help/advice with these wheels,
    I bought them second hand described as new and unused
    I swapped the freehub from a Sram XD to a Shimano following the Mavic vid on youtube no problem, however as soon as the wheel is on the bike with the maxle done up there is a lot of resistance both free wheeling and pedalling, a bit like a seized bearing?

Totally baffled,,,

ninfan
    Free Member

Suspect you need to correctly Adjust the bearing tension on NDS – you should have a little pin spanner that allows you to wind it out and run more freely.

Back it off a couple of turns till its spinning freely, then spin the wheel in the frame and wind the bearing tension on till you see a little bit of resistance/drag, then back it off half a turn and you should be bang on.

Are you running 135 or 142? Make sure you have correct end caps on.

killerfox2500
    Free Member

cheers Ninfan
    running 142 with correct end caps, backed the pre load rite off with no luck its still binding badly.
    ripped it apart again and on closer inspection the inside of the wheel axle on the none drive side is scored back to bright ally, looks like the axle is bent

ninfan
    Free Member

Suspect that either something is missing when you put them back together, or you may have been diddled on the ‘new and unused’ by someone who has ‘ucked them up before you got them?

There are patches of bright ally on a new axle though.

For 142 it would be the Grey DS end cap, and shorter of the two blue ones on the DS

killerfox2500
    Free Member

The end caps I’ve got are both grey, its the inside of the axle that’s marked as if the maxle is scoring it,

ninfan
    Free Member

sorry, yes, two grey would be right there, the blue was on the ITS4-2 Upgrade kit not the new wheels, easy to forget when you’re not doing it every day 😳

Rosss
    Free Member

I’ve had this issue before, there are two sets of end caps for 142×12 one set for SRAM XD and one for standard set ups. IIRC one has a ledge around stopping it going onto the axle so far and the other hasn’t. I suspect if it had a XD freehub on it’ll need a new end cap.

sq225917
    Free Member

There’s a small washer goes inside the free hub body to space it from the hub. It sits against the small bearing you can see at the far end of the free hub. It’s likely still inside your xd body. Least there was on the 2010 Sx and kysirium wheels

pbooker1995
    Free Member

+1 with Rosss’ comment. Exactly the same with the hope. With the older endcap it gets stuck on the cassette as you tighten it up and then binds when you do up the maxle. The proper endcap works great.

Hope this works for you.

killerfox2500
    Free Member

Sorted I had the wrong size end cap on the drive side!
    thanks for all your help.
    just need the ice to **** off so I can try em 😯

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mavic crossmax enduro wheels Help’ is closed to new replies.