Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mavic crossmax enduro wheel – cassette loose
  • julzm
    Free Member

Folks of STW land, can you help me?

We have a fairly new set of Mavic Crossmax Enduro wheels – those yellow ones. They’re only 2 months old and the cassette seems to be slightly loose. I’ve torqued the cassette to the manufacturers recommended setting but it’s still the same.

I know the bearing needs to be preloaded but it seems to be max tight with the plastic widget thing.

Anyone have any idea what I can try next ?

Many thanks

m360
    Free Member

Is it the cassette of the hub? My Crossmax play was because of the hub bush.

Try the Hub Doctor

jimw
    Free Member

The latest ITS4 hubs don’t have the plastic bush, but a ball bearing. Where did you get them from-can you take them back for a check?

julzm
    Free Member

They came in a full bike build. I’ve nipped up the preload again and it seems ok but it does seem to come loose all the time. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Many thanks for the replies and advice.

jimw
    Free Member

There is a”sweetspot” tension for the preload. If you overtighten, they will work loose, leave it too low tension, they will work loose. It is best done with the wheels in the frame or fork.
    If I recall correctly, the best method is to lift the bike wheel off the ground, and whilst spinning the wheel slacken off the tension then tighten till you feel a resistance and the wheel starts to slow down. Then back off the tension about 1/8 turn.

However, you may have to do what I was advised to do by a Mavic dealer, which is to set the tension as above, then drop a few drops of Loctite onto outside the thread of the tension nut. Leave overnight. This stops the nut backing off and my Crossmax with a similar type of hub has been fine for nearly two years.

benpinnick

Most mavic wheels run 11spd freehubs. You need a spacer…. Probably.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mavic crossmax enduro wheel – cassette loose’ is closed to new replies.