Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mavic Crossline ITS-4 9 speed to 10 speed failed conversion
  • sobol
    Free Member

Hi All,

I’m trying to upgrade my Mavic Crossline wheel from 9 speed to 10 speed.
    Originally there was ITS-4 freehub and 9 speed cassette PG980.
    ( link to my free hub http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mavic/crossmax-its4-freehub-body-shimano-ec049649 )

I’ve purchased new 10 speed SRAM PG1070 Cassette and 10 speed chain, fitted the cassette but when I tighten up the holding bolt even with lightest torque the cassette won’t spin backwards, as in spinning wheel backwards would spin pedals as well.

Is this some spacer issue? I’ve noticed that there are two spacers between block of biggest cogs and small singular cosgs of PG1070.

Also the new chain is two links longer then original 9 speed chain I had. Is right to have those extra two links with considerably bigger cog’s cassette that PG1070 is to PG980?

Thanks,

warpcow
    Free Member

Can you see what’s bindning on the wheel? I put an XT 10spd cassette on a friend’s Crosslines a few months ago without any problems (or spacers).

Chain should be shortened to whatever length is needed.

Shackleton

the cassette won’t spin backwards, as in spinning wheel backwards would spin pedals as well

Isn’t that how freehubs work? If you spun the wheel forward and the pedals spin then something is causing the freehub to bind.

servo
    Free Member

Check the washer between the freehub body and the hub is fitted. Caught me out the first time I did it.

sobol
    Free Member

Servo, the washer is there, was there all the time, isn’t it needed also with 9 speed?

servo
    Free Member

Washer needed for both types. I used to swap between Campagnolo and Shimano freehubs quite often. If the washer was missing then it would all bind up when you do tighten the cassette.

sobol
    Free Member

Servo, do you have a picture of such washer so that I know we’re talking same thing? My kit that came with the wheel looks similar to the one from the link, and by washer I mean what is the thinest blue part on the picture: http://www.jensonusa.com/Mavic-ITS-4-Freewheel-Body-Retrofit-Kit

njee20
    Free Member

Isn’t that how freehubs work? If you spun the wheel forward and the pedals spin then something is causing the freehub to bind.

This. Spinning wheel backwards should spin pedals. Mistake?

sobol
    Free Member

@All,

Thanks for all the help!

It turned out to be a problem with locking nut on break rotor side, the one that you need Mavic tool for.

To fix the problem the locking nut has to be at correct position on the axle.
    If you haven’t got the tool it can be adjusted by removing freehub and holding axle on freehub side while turning the nut.
    If you do have the tool then the job is easy, the freehub has to fitted and locking nut on, then just use the tool to adjust position while holding locking nut on free hub side.

Too tight and freehub won’t spin, to loose and you will have play in the wheel.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Crossline ITS-4 9 speed to 10 speed failed conversion’ is closed to new replies.