Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mavic Aksium or Fulcrum Racing 5 – which one?
  • OrangeEvo
    Free Member

I just can’t decide – which would you go for?

meandyuk

Racing 5’s ?? they get good reviews or whichever match your bike the best 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shimano/open pro will give you no troubles re. spares and poss. comparable weight/price?

Planet X model B for less weight?

Paulio
    Free Member

Out of those two I was a click of the mouse away from the Mavics but went for 2011 Campagnolo Khamsin as they were a lot cheaper and matched the rest of the Campy stuff on my bike. They’re well made and look good and have been great so far although only it’s been less than 1000 miles.

OrangeEvo
    Free Member

I have Campag Khamsin’s on my winter/commuting bike – and they are fantastic value for money, and awesomely good wheels.

I’ve ridden mine through all sorts of c**p for the last 2 years (~3,000 miles) and they’ve remained true and smooth. Shame they don’t do the bling gold rimmed ones any more though – mine look great:

winterfold
    Free Member

Aksiums are better than khamsins. I’ve had khamsins and ventos and prefer the aksiums. I use them as winter and commuting wheels and 15 months have not to reach for the spoke key once

Of the original choice it would depend how much you can get the R5s for but they don’t look that much better on paper to me and I think are more expensive?

I have R3s on my best road bike and they are very nice but lots of difference to R5s (which are an option I considered but couldn’t see much benefit over r7s ( and by implication aksiums)

Not sure that helps much – how much you can get them for should decide it really

winterfold
    Free Member

Cynic-al’s suggestion is good option – but looks are important and if your bike is modern looking then old school wheels can look a bit wrong whereas some aeroness looks good on old and new frames

Dougal
    Free Member

I’ve had a set of Khamsins on my winter bike for four years. One set of bearings and not a single true in ~10k miles. Great wheels.

I do like Mavic wheels, especially the Kysrium Elite, but the Aksium just doesn’t offer any benefit over the Khamsin for a lot more cost.

jg911
    Free Member

Easton EA50’s??? Freewheel clicks like Hope hubs but they are all handbuilt. Spares are easier to get hold of compared to Mavic. From what I remember there isn’t a Uk importer for Mavic anymore.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

aksiums roll really heavy but are as hard as nails, fulcrums are probly better….imho i would’ny get either, i’d get a set handbiult from your local bike shop

monkeychild
    Free Member

Planet X model B for less weight?

+1090

xcstu
    Free Member

if you can push the budget hope pro3 on mavic open pro… paid new off ebay shop 200quid 🙂 (had aksium and used 5 days a week for 9 months and totally worn out)

kris1
    Free Member

I have both wheels, the Fulcrum 5 are by far the better wheel. it is stiffer and spins very well. The balance of the wheel is very good having a couple of plain guage spokes to counter act the weight of the rim joint. The only problem I have had with them is the rim in very tight to get the tyre on you need to blow the tyre up to 100lb plus to get the tyre bead to pop onto the rim so it runs true. The rim joint gives a little thump as you apply the brakes, I just rubbed mine back with a little emery cloth.

However the Mavic is a little softer and will give a softer ride. This could be better if you have a very stiff frame. My mavics have done a couple of thousand miles and the free hub is now loose and needs replacing/bushes replaced. The rims have worn well and the wheels are still true-ish. The rear has a little kick on it, 1 or 2mm. I can live with that.

I am 6 foot and weigh 15 stone.

Cheers

Kris

jimc101
    Free Member

Have been using a pair of Fulcrum 5’s for a few years no issues here; would take this over a set of Planet X Model B’s, I like Planet X stuff, but went through 2 of their Model B wheel sets,the rear cassette having issues where the casette was digging into the freehub, as it’s made from Aluminium.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Aksium or Fulcrum Racing 5 – which one?’ is closed to new replies.