Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Maverick Speedball servicing – who?
  • heihei

Any idea who can service a Mav Speedball post? Apparently Crank Bros are no longer willing to do it, so 2pure are out, and have had no response to emails from Extra. Any ideas?

the_lecht_rocks

2pure should do it – they tell me that they continue to support the maverick ! ? !

2 pure – comments ?

2pure
    Free Member

Hi, unfortunately TLR, heihei is correct. Recently Crank Brothers have taken the decision to no longer work on Maverick seatposts due to too many incompatibility issues with the internal components.

Apologies

ran

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Disappointing. Can we still buy spares from you and do it ourselves?

2pure
    Free Member

we are working on getting a spares/service website up where consumers can buy direct so watch this space.

the_lecht_rocks

nice one ran – lets hope heihei get’s it resolved.

fwiw, my joplin has been problematic, but 2pure have resolved every issue with it so far and it’s working brilliant now.

thanks ran & co !

heihei

Pretty frustrating. I now have a £150 seatpost that is knackered and obsolute! Time for an email to Maverick and Crank Bros I think.

2pure
    Free Member

heihei – I am not sure why you would email Crank Brothers about it, they did not make your post. As mentioned there are too many problems retro fitting CB parts to Maverick posts so there is not much they (or we) can do.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Which parts in particular? I would imagine most people need the glide blocks and the PTFE bushings. Are these different?

dexterbexley
    Free Member

If anyone knows where i can get a guide block and the plastic bushings then i'd be much obliged. 1cm of play in a £150 seatpost so soon is pretty pi$$ poor.

Cheers
    Matt

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Update:
    Holy flurking schnit $25 is a lot of money for 2 plastic rings and a tiny bit of brass

http://www.dirtlabsstore.com/product.sc%3Bjsessionid=0F977DA741EA8AC6937A0ABEC4D5B929.qscstrfrnt02?categoryId=21&productId=131

neil853
    Free Member

there's a guy called craig jackson on here who does servicing, i'll dig out his details and post them.

He does the best job he can but he has limited spares. he does have guide blocks but on mine for example the guide blocks and the black outer sleeve have worn, so replacing the guide blocks has helped but there is still considerable play there.

As someone says, pi$$ poor. I really like the freedom that these type of seatposts bring, thing is they all have faults it seems, and picking another is a gamble as you only know problems 12 months down the line and then the warranty is non existent and repair costs seem to be eye watering

neil853
    Free Member

Craig

Simpsons Cycle Services
    simpsons@mypostoffice.co.uk

He's an ex extra (former importers) employee, sorted me out, WELL RECOMENDED!

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have the pdf guide that allows you to do the service yourself. It is not much harder than a fork service TBH

Anyone who needs it can e-mail me and I will post it out (it is at work though so not till Monday
    Can we not even get the guide blocks?

neil853
    Free Member

The lad above which I have mentioned has, and the link above in the states also has them. but in my case i need the black outer sleeve and thats like rocking horse poo in a 31.6 size (£45 in 30.9).

definately a flawed design

Frisky
    Free Member

Does everyone have that play of about 3mm on either side of the seatpost on the speedball? My local bike shop thought it was broken when they saw it. I've been told in the past it's normal though and part of the design. 🙁

richc
    Free Member

thats normal.

druidh
    Free Member

neil853 – Member

I really like the freedom that these type of seatposts bring, thing is they all have faults it seems, and picking another is a gamble as you only know problems 12 months down the line and then the warranty is non existent and repair costs seem to be eye watering

Then just buy a Gravity Dropper and stop whinging.

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Mine's got a few mm of play either way dispite a full greasing last night (using the pdf here http://www.maverickbike.com/cms_images/file_17.pdf).

I don't mind the play too much but I know its just going to get worse if i don't sort it now with a new guide block, especially when the weather turns wet.

neil853 – cheers for the address for spares

cynic-al
    Free Member

TLR I take it your broken bits got replaced?

neil853
    Free Member

Guide block is only half the battle though, the black sleeve is obviously the other half, which is nigh on impossible to source in my size

"Then just buy a Gravity Dropper and stop whinging"

Is this post relaible? My point is that it seems a major gample with in excess of £200 spent on something that you don't know how reliable it is/isn't? Plus its ugly as sin!!!

druidh
    Free Member

My GD is over two years old and I've "serviced" it once. 15 minute job and that included fitting a new cable. If you do some digging, you'll find a couple of reports of folk having broken one – other than that they seem pretty much bombproof

neil853
    Free Member

I'm going to have to have a look at them. I seem to remember a review which said they were the best of the bunch. Do they have much play?

Its obvious that in a very short time parts are going to become almost impossible to get for my maverick.

I still find it incredible that a high value product like this can a) go out of production so quickly and b) after doing so spare parts become obselete so quickly. Is there not some law that spare parts have to be made available for a certain amount of given time? Or is that just cars?

richc
    Free Member

whereas I have a GD and its been nothing but trouble, as it will either work reliably in the drop 1" & full extension, or the full drop and 1" drop. So case of screw you knees or no enough drop to bother with.

neil853
    Free Member

see what i mean, all of them seem to have problems? 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

Two positions is enough for any man….

richc
    Free Member

dunno 3 position is good (or millions with the Maverick/KS post), 1 for normal climbing, 1 for technical climbing and 1 for descending.

Ells
    Free Member

Hey guys,

I am after a full service manual for a Speedball seatpost. Could I have a description of how to do a complete service (including changing the internal oil) or at least an exploded view from anyone?

Thanks

Elliot

elliottanner@hotmail.com

trailwarrior
    Free Member

This is a while after this post was “active”, but I’ll post an update for the sake of others…

If you have a Maverick Speedball you should be able to use the crank-btoehrs joplin 3″ kit.

I just serviced mine (without replacing the bushings or the guide block) But my LBS assured me that the original joplin was exactly the same as the maverick. the changes only came with the 4″ adjustable post.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

This month’s MBR has a Joplin/Speedball servicing guide in it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Maverick Speedball servicing – who?’ is closed to new replies.