Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • maverick on android. map sharing
  • MadBillMcMad

Downloading maps can be a real pain.

How about organising a pooling of maps/tiles,
    Perhaps a Dropbox folder containing zips of our map folders.

The important one for the UK is os explorer maps(UK). I have a fairly good set of tiles.

The other is os cycle map which I use abroad.

Ideally it would be good to save them by area but I do not know how.

ampthill

I’m not sure of the problem

I use back Country navigator on a Note 1. I simply download, for free whatever maps i need before a ride. I think they all sit in one folder. But to “find them” I just turn on the app and either scroll, search or use GPS to go to the area of Britain i want. If i have the tiles they are on the screen. If I don’t it attempts to download them

Presumably my phone will eventually fill up. But if I say download a generous chunk for a ride its say 10MB and i have several Gb left for storage

MadBillMcMad

Well, if you want all the zoom levels especially 1:25000 it takes quite a while.

It’s just a thought.

ampthill

But why is it easier to get it from drop box than OS? Or are you hoping that zipping will reduce the file size?

MadBillMcMad

no it is just that if someone has already grabbed a significant area at multiple zooms then all we have to do is download & unpack the zip, & hey presto you have a whole new area at those zooms.

I’ve not heard of Back Country Navigator before, just downloaded the free version. A couple of points, bearing in mind I have not used yet for navigation.

1. It appears to be faster at grabbing map tiles than maverick
    2. But it only has the Multimap OS maps, these just do 1:50000. Maverick has access to a MapSource that gives you 1:25000 & that is a winner for me.
    3. the paid version of maverick is a lot cheaper, which I have paid for to support it, but not actually sure what extra I get for the paid version.
    4. the free version of maverick is unrestricted in use.

ampthill

On my phone back country navigator downloads 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 simultanously

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

2. But it only has the Multimap OS maps, these just do 1:50000.

I can only presume you don’t know how to use it yet. Multimap UK OS Explorer, which BCN uses, goes to 1:25k and you can magnify that.

MadBillMcMad

my mistake – yep can see the 1:25000 maps.

so back to topic.
    Is it a totally daft idea ?
    amphill obviously thinks it is, but anyone else ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘maverick on android. map sharing’ is closed to new replies.