Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Maverick and I – Beam seatpost
  • RickSpangle
    Free Member

I am using an SDG Bel Air on a Thomson Elite post (not layback) on my Durance. I can't get enough downward tilt for the saddle to be flat. I have tried a Fizik Gobi which was better, but not comfortable on longer rides.
    Suggestions please on saddles and views on the I – Beam saddle and post. Blurb states more adjustment than any other arrangement, but is it any good?

epicyclo

Yes, they are good and they are lighter.

I use a SDG I-Fly with carbon post and there's heaps of adjustment in it. Once set, it never moves.

BTW I think CRC have a special on the Bel Air plus free seatpost at the moment.

RickSpangle
    Free Member

Thanks Epicyclo. I have seen them on CRC. It might be worth a punt.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Alpine bikes may be even cheaper still.

simonm
    Free Member

I found the standard I-Beam seats really painfull, the centre support gives a lot of stiffness to the centre of the saddle and not much flex… In the end I changed to a SDG Formula FX saddle that is supported on the outside edges, much more flex and more comfortable… just worth having a look at one b4 you buy.

mboy
    Free Member

What year and size is your Durance?

I can JUST about get my Bel Air as good as flat on top of my inline Thomson Elite post on my Medium Durance (earlier 125mm travel version, not newer 140mm).

Going to try it with a Charge Spoon soon as I have a couple of these fitted to other bikes, and the saddle rails seem ever so slightly more angled than on the Bel Air…

If you want a saddle with lots of angle on the rails, hence you can even tilt the nose down on the Maverick, get an old school Flite Ti.

Or if you're just changing the seatpost, consider one of the newer Easton EA70's with the twin bolt clamp, have heard they work nicely on a Durance.

FWIW I had an I-Beam combo on a bike a while ago… I hated it! It was like sitting on a rock. ZERO movement in the saddle whatsoever because it is solid. Now I love the Bel Air shape, but without the flex in the base and the rails, it's a whole lot less comfy!

epicyclo

There's various types of I-beam saddles. Basically dial in the comfort level required, and it will still be lighter.

The older ones were very rigid, the later ones feel more like what we are used to.

I ride 24 hour races with an I-beam i-Fly on a rigid bike with no pad and it's ok, but I'm out of the saddle a lot.

I prefer a more flexible model for road use though 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

I use a Spoon and EA70

mtbmaff
    Free Member

I couldn't get my i-beam fly saddle flat using a micro i-beam seat post on my ML7.

The older type non-micro seat post was ok.

retro83
    Free Member

I can't get on with mine, the clamping mechanism is great, really works well, but the actual post is a tiny bit undersized and won't stay still in the frame.

Also there are some problems with them cracking in cold weather – something to do with the adhesive on the top of the post IIRC

The saddle (Bel Air) is really uncomfortable compared to my one with rails. Absolutely no give in it at all. I've only had it 6 months so I assume it is one of the newer ones?

epicyclo

There is an SDG saddle that is supported at the ends like ordinary saddles. If you are finding the solid rail saddles too hard, this may be an answer.

Are you sure your post is undersized and not your frame a bit worn? I have 7 SDGs on various bikes and never had this problem. (I've just nipped out and measured the 2 closest – they're spot on)

I haven't heard of the cracking in cold weather – more details please – that's something I need to know about 🙂

Is it just the glue holding the clamp failing or is metal breaking?

retro83
    Free Member

Are you sure your post is undersized and not your frame a bit worn? I have 7 SDGs on various bikes and never had this problem. (I've just nipped out and measured the 2 closest – they're spot on)

yep, well as accurately as I can measure anyhow – it's supposed to be 27.2 and it's 27.10 ish. My Easton EA30 measures band on 27.2 and doesn't slip. 🙁

I haven't heard of the cracking in cold weather – more details please – that's something I need to know about

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sdg-post-failures-design-flaw

iirc the glue fails in cold weather, allowing movement in the head which eventually cracks the top of the post

Northerner

I've run I Beam for 3 years and never had an issue with them fialing in cold weather, the Bel Air I Beam is a tad firm for long rides so I am now running a Formula FX which has a railed I Beam system so is super comfy. I'm sure some websites will be doing a saddle post deal around now, thats how i got mine

RickSpangle
    Free Member

Thanks to all of you for your good advice.
    A couple of mates have suggested spoons might be the way to go.

Picto
    Free Member

Had the same thing happen to 2 ibeam posts in a month as in photo above. Both were in my hardtail. I wonder if the solid body of Bel Air saddles transmits more shock through the seatpost than a standard railed saddle. May be more durable on a full sus frame.

I was happy with the comfort of the ibeam saddle (Bel Air SL), used them for probably 21/2 years prior to this winter. Rode Merida's, 24 hour races, enduro 6 and the like and always found it comfortable. Obviously a tad less comfortable when the post snapped.

epicyclo

That cracking in cold weather looks like a lousy job of bonding to me.

Useful to know – I was contemplating removing the head of one of my SDG posts and trying to bond it into a Ti post. 🙂

Anyone got a SDG head they don't want?

The spoon is a nice comfy saddle but it's not light.

RickSpangle
    Free Member

neither am i 😀

Picto
    Free Member

Certainly got one ibeam post head. Proabably got a second in the garage. Let me know if you want it.

epicyclo

retro83 – Member
    I can't get on with mine, the clamping mechanism is great, really works well, but the actual post is a tiny bit undersized and won't stay still in the frame.

Guess what, I just went to fit one and it was looser than the alloy post I just took out.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Maverick and I – Beam seatpost’ is closed to new replies.