Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mauritius-anyone been?
  • Candodavid
    Free Member

We are looking to book, but would like to know what is the best time for the weather ect ect! We need to relax but have a 10 year old who will need something to do (although we don't do major amusements!!!!)
    Any suggestions on resorts ect? any info would be great!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A truly lovely place! A great mix of cultures, with the French, British, Indian and African influences all rolled in to one!

Some tips;
    – Go all inclusive. Everything, and I mean everything, has to be shipped in there, so it can be expensive.
    – Have an ice cold Blue Marlin after wakeboarding over crystal clear waters….!

Erm, that's all you need to know really!

Went to the Maritim a while back. On the NW coast, so had some stunning sunsets. Really lovely resort, on a sheltered bay.

Food and booze is all very lovely. As with the island overall, lots of cultural mixtures in the food. The fish was sublime, taken straight off the boat and on to the grill!

There aren't (thankfully!) any cheap holidays on the island, which keeps it to a very high level. Customer service is their biggest source of national pride and is second to none. I have never, ever, had service as good as I have done there.

As Mark Twain said;

You gather the idea that Mauritius was made first, and then heaven; and that heaven was copied after Mauritius.

tyke
    Free Member

Married to a Mauritian and have been about 10 times. Best bet is as CFH suggests go for an all in package. Times to avoid are Christmas & New Year – very expensive due to South African's on their annual vacation. Other times are January through March as it's the cyclone season and you may get hit with some very windy and rainy weather for 3 or 4 days.

For young kids most of the hotels have kids clubs – best one is probably Sugar Beach or the Baechcomber DinaRobin. If you go to a Beachcomber hotel you can normally stay a couple of nights at one of their other hotels on the island.

Hotels on the east side tend to get a bit more of a sea breeze which is nice if you go when the weather's hot.

cb

Been a couple of times but we are golfers. Belle Mare Plage hotel on the east coast is fantastic. The Dinarobin as mentioned is even nicer if you like your luxuries. Both have golf courses 'next door'.

We actually prefer the slightly more laid back vibe at Belle Mare Plage and its really not that expensive. We went off peak the first time (January I think but memory fades) and peak the second (with a week at the Dinarobin beforehand). Off peak, the sea is coldish but its very relaxed with hotel at 30% occupancy.

About 1500 quid each for 13 nights off peak, 5 star hotels with half board. As previously mentioned, 'extras' particularly wine are very expensive.

Travis

Went a couple of years ago, up the NW. There were some children in our hotel, apparently, the hotel had turned one of the old gun turrets into a Childrens club. Which meant the Adults could just sleep all day on the beach.

We went in June, think they call it the shoulder season. It was enough for us, hot enough to sit on the beach, and go for walks. The sun isn't up as long though, set quite early, which meant we didn't have to wait long enough to see some fabulous sun sets.

We plan to go there again in a few years, but this time do 7 days on Reunion for some MTB trails (please me) and then 7 days on Mauritius for the beach to 'relax'

tails
    Free Member

never been there but you could send the kid off dodo hunting.

tyke
    Free Member

Forgot to say if you want to use a travel agent that knows Mauritius go to: http://www.mauritius.com. Ask to speak to the owner Giselle – she's from Mauritius originally and knows all the hotels on the island and can also get some good deals on packages.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Belle Mare Plage, I honeymooned there 🙂 very nice too … watersports; if your kids want to sail, canoe, snorkle, dive etc etc then it should be part of the package, just go & ask an instructor & they will rig the boats for you, excellent, I have happy memories of spendin time in a laser head out to reef, turn around & run/surf in, repeat until board & then head in for a beer.

Went there for 2 weeks in 1999. Arranged everything through Beachcomber. Beautiful place. Unspoiled beaches, clear waters, great sea fishing, snorkelling and other water sports. Would like to go back one day.

As said above, I think all of the Beachcomber hotels have Mini Clubs which the kids can attend each day.

freddyg
    Free Member

<sigh/>

We went about five years ago and sorted it all ourselves, as I don't like large hotels (a bit agoraphobic).

Flights from Manchester (via Paris), three weeks in some self catering apartments (2up, 2 down, rather than apartments) in Trou aux Biches.

We didn't bother cooking for ourselves as we found the local restaurants to be very good and not too expensive.

We've since had two children and I would love to be able to take them too – however the cost of flying has made our preferred option too expensive now.

Lovely place, lovely people.

</sigh>

Edit: I've just had a look on Google maps and found the apartments – see the green arrow: clicky.

Check out the manky beach and horrible brown sea.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mauritius-anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.