Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Mattresses & Lower Back Pain
  • andykirk
    Free Member

Summary:

– Suffered from lower back pain for months. Realised my old soft mattress was knackered. Chucked it out.

– Borrowed a medium rated mattress from a pal, back pain went immediately.

– Gave mattress back to pal. Bought a new medium to firm rated mattress last week. Back pain returned immediately.

What is happening? I thought firm mattresses were meant to be good for backs? Or is this just a break in/ adjustment period and should I stick it out for another few weeks before trying another one or putting one of these ‘mattress topper’ things on?

Regards
    Mr Sore Back
    Scotland

PS I do loads of exercise/ stretching so this is not the issue I feel.

lister

I have lots of back issues and stuck to the ‘hard is good’ mantra for years.
    When we got our last mattress we did the Bensons for Beds trial machine thing and it came out that I would be best on a soft rated bed.
    Took the gamble and it’s been great. Much improved comfort at night.
    I’d recommend Bensons, they were really helpful.

edit: didn’t really answer your question! Sorry! Does your latest mattress have a returns policy on it? Could you send it back?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Tempur..quite expensive but worth it ..
    There has been a fairly recent thread on this subject ..

andykirk
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.

No the company do not offer returns or exchanges if it has been slept on. Lesson here is only to buy from companies that offer trial periods! Will try a topper and see if it makes any difference.

bigblackshed

There isn’t any hard or fast rules. It’s just what is comfortable for you.

l0key
    Free Member

It’s not an ikea one is it? “Gets what’s yous pays fors”

z1ppy

what BBS said, though a tempur sorted us out, along with our bank balance.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

We’ve got a memory foam mattress, so comfortable it ruined our sex life.

dannybgoode

We’ve got a memory foam mattress, so comfortable it ruined our sex life.

Marriage did that for me…

vickypea
    Free Member

If the mattress you liked was medium, why didn’t you buy a medium one? We bought a new mattress last year and the shop advised medium because firmer ones are for heavier people.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Topper may work for you. We splashed out on a half decent sprung / memory foam topped mattress a couple of years ago and it was the best decision I ever made – so much so that I now have a mild panic attack at the prospect of having to sleep elsewhere for a night.

Just back from the MiLs this Xmas, cue lower back pain

irc

Why not get buy the one you borrowed from a friend back? Either agree a price or swap it for your new one. Assuming it came from a spare bedroom or something like that so it doesn’t matter that much to your pal.

As for firmness ratings I believe body weight needs to be taken into account. So donut fans may need firmer mattresses than those of a more athletic build, all else being equal.

andykirk
    Free Member

Are you saying I am fat?

irc

andykirk – Member

Are you saying I am fat?

🙂

No I’m fat. I need a firm mattress. You might not. For some people a firm might be too hard for the back.

TheGingerOne

We were out looking at mattresses today.

In summary it is roughly under 8 stone = soft 8 – 11 stone medium and over 11 stone firm.
    And there was a slight adjustment if you sleep on your front or back as opposed to side.

You really need to try a few in the shops before buying and give them at least 30 days to settle in once you own one before making a judgement – so we were told.

Personally I find the memory foam ones are far too hot. I get very hot on them and sweet profusely. As soon as I’m back on a pocket sprung natural fibre, I am fine again.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

Try rolling a towel up and place it at the base of your back, this will maintain the lordosis and keep pressure off the nerves.
    Knife cured mine.

fossy

Tempur – finding my back pain is less in the morning, but I broke my spine and have part of my L1 missing.

Struggled for two years, had a perfectly comfortable pocket sprung mattress before, couldn’t sleep on it. Tried a topper, helped a little then moved to a cheaper memory foam mattress and topper – was OK but hot.

The Tempur isn’t a hot mattress and is fairly firm for a medium. I still don’t sleep great, but I have much less pain in the mornings. The down side is they are very expensive.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Borrowed a medium rated mattress from a pal, back pain went immediately.

– Gave mattress back to pal. Bought a new medium to firm rated mattress last week. Back pain returned immediately.

Did you get the same make and style (foam/springs) or just another ‘medium’?

andykirk
    Free Member

I’m not fat but I am almost 15 stone. I have to say I am getting fat now though following Christmas madness.

I actually spent a fair bit on the new mattress thinking ‘Oh this will not hurt my back as it is expensive and medium-hard rating’. Wrong! It is a Silentnight.

Can’t get the comfy mattress back, it is old anyway and a no name cheapy.

Ginger – yes a few people have said to me it might just be a breaking-in period – for myself and the mattress. Will give it another couple of weeks before it goes on Gumtree.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Mattresses & Lower Back Pain’ is closed to new replies.