Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Mattresses – How much did you pay?
  • Xylene
    Free Member

My mates place that I'm moving into has a standard double bed in it. The mattress has seen better days.

I spoke with my old man about what to buy, seeing as their mattress's at their house are really nice to sleep on. He informed me that – the double cost 1200 quid, the king size was 1800 and their mattress was about 2500. The ones on the double king we use in the flat was about 1000.

He claims I should expect to pay about 400 quid for a fairly decent double mattress.

I have in the past spent a year or so sleeping on a roll up mattress on a floor, but I was younger, more adventerous and enjoying living in far off lands. These days I'm a bit softer and like a decent nights kip.

Am I really going to have to spend that much?

backhander
    Free Member

We did, a harrison no less. It made sense when I thought about the amount of time we spend in it. Mind you they made one side stiffer for me and has a summer cooler side and a winter side with horse hair. It is very nice.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I spent a bit £500 to get a Sweet Dreams Eternity double with divan base, and it's great.
    I didn't want a memory foam one, but this has a MF topper on it which for me & my GF works really well and is seriously comfy.

Nearly got a Harrison but couldn't really justify it – what i've got is just as nice to sleep on & I wasn't bothered about the fancy handmade-to-order aspects of theirs.

I would add that I have previously had an Ikea one for about £200 i think, and it was crap, wore out in just a few years.

Xylene
    Free Member

Any ideas about these memory foam mattress's? They sound crap to me, but then I don't know nowt since I've apparently been sleeping on a grands worth of springs and foam for the past year and thought it was crap.

edit

How does the memory foam work? Do you not get overly hot from it?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We paid £850 for a king size memory foam, pocket sprung mattress.

Most comfy bed I've ever slept on.

donsimon
    Free Member

Cheapie from Ikea and it's the most comfortable I've ever had.

duntstick
    Free Member

Relyon here, imported into France (extra 300 euro!)

Natural fibres, pocket sprung,cotton top……no foam, too blimmin hot here for that,locals seem to put up with terrible beds though……….

But……about £2000

bigG
    Free Member

In my experience memory foam is the hottest sweatiest and most unpleasant thing to sleep on,

I've just ordered a replacement mattress from blindcraft ,£440 for the top of the range king size, last one did me 10 years of very comfortable kip but was only a double so had to go.

This was the comfiest mattress I've ever had, plus you are giving to charity. Double bubble..

coffeeking
    Free Member

You don't need to spend a fortune to get a decent memory foam and pocket spring mattress. I'm currently looking at a superking for £600, the double is 400. I suppose it depends on what you're used to. Once you've slept on a mem/pocket mattress not much else will do. Personlly I dont find them too warm, but some (mostly women) do.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I didn't like most of the memory foam mattresses, and you're right they are warmer than a regular one. Infact, the one I bought was the only one with MF in it that I liked, having been round half a dozen bed centres!

Xylene
    Free Member

but some (mostly women) do.

I used to have one of those huge ikea beds and the mattress was really nice. Current situation though, I can bin the mattress, but binning the whole bed would be being cheeky.

Drac

Used these a few years ago and saved a small fortune

http://www.mattressonline.co.uk/

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Two an a half thousand pounds for a mattress. 😯

Wonders will never cease….

GJP
    Free Member

I bought mine in the US about 12 years ago cost $2000 at the time and it was one of the cheapest ones FFS. Thank god I was an overpaid ex-pat at the time! Came as a bit of a shock to me.

brakes
    Free Member

I reckon you only need to spend a lot of money on a mattress if you're fat or old or both
    think we spent about £500 and got a really comfortable one
    go to a bed shop/ John Lewis and try them out
    the best things about ours are that it's not hot and if your sleeping partner moves, you don't feel it

backhander
    Free Member

Funnily enough I didn't know they were hand made to order. No wonder we had to wait a few weeks for it!

fubar
    Free Member

My old mattress cost little more than £100 (10 years ago from a mill / outlet place) and was good for well over 5 years. The replacement was about £250, looks nicer and osfter touch but isn't nearly as good. My parents probably spent around £1000 and it's horrible , sink-in super soft but it doesn't make for a good nights sleep.
    I wouldn't pay more than £500 and I wouldn't buy a mattress I hadn't had a test lie-down on to test firmness.

yunki
    Free Member

Sealy Posturepedic- available for around £400 quid and a very good mattress without all the hype and bluster and hyper inflated price tags..

forgotmename
    Free Member

I have a tempur memory foam mattress, it was not cheap, but is really comfy. My advice is spend a lot of money on your shoes and your bed, if your not in one your in the other.

z1ppy

Hoping the tempur lives up to their rep, just ordered one…

CaptJon
    Free Member

forgotmename – Member
    I have a tempur memory foam mattress, it was not cheap, but is really comfy. My advice is spend a lot of money on your shoes and your bed, if your not in one your in the other.

The same goes for girlfriends and hookers.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Sealy Posturepedic- available for around £400 quid and a very good mattress without all the hype and bluster and hyper inflated price tags..

But doesn't feel remotely like some of the nicer mem foam/pocket spring beds. Trust me, I've tried every bloody one on the market so far in the hunt for the best bargain!

sofaking
    Free Member

we just got a tempur matress.
    been sleeping on it 4 nights and its blissssssssssss

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

mine was £75 reduced from £150 as they were trying to get rid of it – comfiest mattress I've ever had!

yunki
    Free Member

But doesn't feel remotely like some of the nicer mem foam/pocket spring beds

aye… that may be so coffeeking.. what it does feel like however.. is a damn good bed.. I'm just trying to suggest a quite firm top quality pocket sprung matress with no frills and bells or whistles..

In bike terms we're talkng about the difference between a well specced cotic soul and the latest £6500 trek..

afrothunder88

My OH spent £180 on a foam mattress from eBay, its awesome. Super comfortable, can't feel it when she moves.

Can be abit warm in the summer but just get a thinner duvet.

hels
    Free Member

Not enough – got a cheap one from Ikea and it's awful.

Kind of hoping my tenants move out so I can sneak back in and get my proper one ! I bought a memory foam a few years ago when they were way cheaper (£180) and it's ace.

RustyMac

I got my latest matress for £200 from blindcraft in edinburgh, nice and firm but comfy. I had had the same matress on another bed that i liked so got the same agian.

My girlfriend just bought a double matress from John Lewis after testing heaps. Think it was about £375 and it is very comfy. John Lewis had lots to try out so if you don't know what you want it may be a good place to start.

Good luck

tron
    Free Member

I think we got the divan and mattress for about £300, haggled a £100 off.

It's not difficult to work out if one mattress is worth more than another – you want pocket sprung, and then it's a question of how many springs you want, natural fillings or synthetic etc.

The law of diminishing returns is likely to apply, and selling beds is an expensive business – relatively slow moving stock, massive showrooms, sales staff on commission. As the sales staff are on commission, you can generally haggle, but probably a better technique would be to find a mattress that suits, then find someone online selling them at near wholesale.

Tiger6791

As me Yorkshire Grandad said..

"spend your brass on t'bed and your shoes lad, if not in one you in t'other"

dizcostix
    Free Member

I paid 1200 in total for my bed, a 'double' pocket sprung mattress + frame. mattress was about 650.

I don't know why so many people are kicking up a fuss about the cost of a mattress being £2000. A lot of people on here seem happy to spend more than that on a bike, but i bet they don't spend 8 hours every day on it.

if you think about it, 2 grand for a mattress isn't a lot for the use and longevity you get out of it.

My advice, get the best quality (not necessarily the most expensive) you can afford…..and try before you buy.

Andy

A good side stitched, cotton pocket sprung mattress with horsehair and lambswool pads should last 30-40 years with regular turning. It will be the best £1000 + you have ever spent. And also the most cost effective in terms of £/hours of use. Vi-spring are worth looking at. With mattresses you definitely get what you pay for.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

There's a chap on here – Slowuphill – is a bed retailer, and advised me on a similar topic last month.
    See if he can be of further assistance to you.

As it happens, I'm looing for one too. Going to get an IKEA bed frame, but they do Euro-sizing with their mattresses. A quick online review search suggests that IKEA mattresses ain't all that after all, so an independent retailer might be better. (IKEA do, however, provide an online 'matching guide' into which you enter some details about your body shape/size and preferred sleeping conditions, and they suggest which type of mattress would best suit you, if that's a help)

It's a hassle to shop for such an item online, I know.
    I agree with the poster who prefers to 'lie before you buy' (I've copyrighted that slogan, by the way).
    Good luck Quirrel

cynic-al
    Free Member

£150 number, 10 years old and starting to feel dented, netnp felt the need to spend more, maybe I should.

cb

Hypnos make good mattresses – wait for a sale though! Very personal thing buying such an item, you have to try first

Divagirl
    Free Member

Oops wrong thread, I read Mistresses haha

chiefgrooveguru

Our top-of-the-range (but still not that expensive) Ikea mattress is continuing to be very comfy after a decade of use. However the non-UK sizing (6’7″ x 5’3″) is a bit of a pain with bed linen.

yossarian
    Free Member

Got a reylon one reduced from £1400 down to £800.

Very comfortable and definitely worth it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

how come I didn’t spot this first time round?

forgotmename – Member

What about your wife/girlfriend?

sweepy
    Free Member

Ive just got a silentnight miracoil kingsize for £170 off the bay and its well cushy.
    I’d not spend more, I know you spend a lot of time in your bed, but you’re unconcious, the saving will go towards a sea kayak which i’ll be awake to enjoy. And to be honest I dont know if I want a matress to last for decades the amount of sweat that goes into them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Mattresses – How much did you pay?’ is closed to new replies.