Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Material Science advice
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I just dropped my cordless phone, it hit a pint glass and smashed it.

My question….WTF ❓

Bez

Huh?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You can break a glass with a feather you know.

druidh
    Free Member

The glass wouldn’t have smashed if it had been full.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It was full of water, which pished all over my cyrus 2 and seems to have borked it 😡

thv3
    Free Member

Are you Dom Joly?

Kit
    Free Member

… it hit a pint glass and smashed it.

I’d keep that cordless phone under control Al – it could be a kid’s face next time.

IanMunro
    Free Member

You can break a glass with a feather you know

Only if it attached to a swan. They can break arms. Imagine what they could do to a child’s face.

/edit bollocks!!!! too slow 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not shitting you friends.

I was knelt down, phone sandwiched twixt ear and shoulder, it slipped out and fell a whole 18″ onto the glass and smashed the fecker.

I thought glass was harder than plastic? Or must there have been a grain of sand on the phone?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Glass is brittle. Why is it a surprise?

cynic-al
    Free Member

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙄

serious understanding fail

Hardness and being brittle are not the same thing. Glass is hard but brittle, plastic need not be either.

cranberry
    Free Member

Is this not a good opportunity to upgrade your amp ?

Though looking at it the case is not the same as newer models.

Cougar

zomg eleventyone.

I have a Yamaha KX-V595 going a-begging for a nominal fee if you’d like to replace it with a sick to the power of rad AV amp.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That amp has a sad look about it – I can’t figure out why – it’s just looking a bit sad out of that photo 🙁

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yes, i just don’t understand it! My hammer, made of ice, smashed when i was knocking in some steel nails. I thought it would be more robust given that a big lump of ice knacked the Titanic. Maybe the hammer wasn’t cold enough.

reynard
    Free Member

A ham sandwich dropped from the top of the Empire State building can flatten a Hummvee; fact.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

A ham sandwich dropped from the top of the Empire State building can flatten a Hummvee; fact.

Yeah, but not a true one?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Kinetic energy of a ham sandwich dropping from the empire state is about the same as an average person jumping as high as they can. They must be making weak hummers these days!

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought glass was harder than plastic?

It is, but that’s not how it works. If you were talking about if one could scratch the other – then that’s hardness.

The falling phone has energy. Some or all of that energy will be transferred to the glass in a particular direction. The impact of that energy will set shockwaves going through the glass. If the shockwaves are ‘strong’ enough then the glass won’t be able to flex enough and the glass will break. Glass doesn’t flex much which is why we call it brittle, and it’s easy to break.

If you put a pint glass upside down on a table you could probably tap it on the bottom with a hammer and it’d be ok. Put it on its side and tap the rim with a hammer – smash.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I huess I did and still do struggle with a 150gm soft plastic phone having enough energy & hardness/lack of damping to break the glass which itself would have been damped by teh water held in it.

Charlie and TJ: full marks for hating!

ahwiles
    Free Member

Al:

brittleness is just a lack of toughness, glass is brittle.

hardness and brittleness usually go together.

(examples: porcelain is hard, and brittle. iron is soft and tough, so is andrex)

your phone was obviously tough enough to withstand the impact, the glass obviously wasn’t.

toys19
    Free Member

As one of the many qualified materials engineers on here, I consider it my duty to respond to this thread and can give you a simple pointer as to what may have happened. Just consider this:

You can cut glass, stone or metal with water, which is softer than poo.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I nuderstand it guys, it just strikes me as odd. Looking at the glass, I think it was scratched orr maybe even cracked beforehand…

molgrips
    Free Member

Remember you can break a glass with a human voice (just about)

HansRey

you can cut glass, stone or metal with poo, it just depends on the pressure you apply. 😉

Was the glass scratched or had any stress raisers? Glass barely deforms plastically, so all impact energy is given to fracture (assuming the glass is on a hard surface and not moving). The glass you have been drinking out of is full of defects (from manufacture and usage) so it does not match the theoretical critical stress intensity, and as a result, it is pretty easy to break.

toys19
    Free Member

I nuderstand it guys, it just strikes me as odd

Al I’ve just re-read the thread, and looking at all your comments including this one, I realise now that this happened because you are special.

Take it as a sign , incredible things will happen to you and incredible things will happen because of you.

veedubba

Also, compressive and tensile stresses etc etc.

You’ll have experienced a combination of the low ductility/ brittleness and the poor tensile strength of glass there sir.

I pretend to be a materials engineer sometimes. Forgotten most of it now though.

Where did the phone hit the glass?

Cougar

In his living room.

Pieface

Revert to iPod?

Harry_the_Spider

You need to consider the section of the glass also. It probably deflected at the point of impact causing the failure.

A solid cube of glass of the same mass but with a different section would have remained unscathed… and your amp would still be working.

molgrips
    Free Member

Also, compressive and tensile stresses etc etc.

And shock wave constructive interference.

Harry_the_Spider

As we’re moving away from materials to mechanics…

How do you work out the section modulus for a shaft with irregular sized and positioned grooves in it? Shaft is a supporting object, not rotating.

Work out the grooves then subtract them from the body taking into consideration the distance from the neutral axis?

It works for I, but not for Z.

Somebody in the office needs to know and I’m not being much help despite the fancy job title and letters after my name.

I graduated in ’92 and haven’t used my brain since. 😳

veedubba

Fnar fnar @ Cougar.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

🙄 Hate? Dear me!
    It’s not all about you.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do something other than flame me then 🙄

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Are you serious? Surely you’d just click on my forum activity before writing something so self-centred!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

your phone was obviously tough enough to withstand the impact

And designed to be able to withstand small impacts too I would assume.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Material Science advice’ is closed to new replies.