• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Matchbook Pro problems. Help please. SOGA and etc
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Third time this has happened now, the computer just won’t switch on. Press the on button, apple symbol on the back lights up but screen does nothing other than go a deep navy blue, it stays blank.
    First time it happened it got sent back and was fixed, couldn’t tell me what was fixed however.
    It’s four months old tops, could I demand a refund or replacement, purchased from curry’s as there were no discounts anywhere at the time.

CHB

If trying to go down the SOGA route then what you are looking to do is “reject the goods”. I find shop assistants (and managers!) often don’t have a clue about the law, so if you sound confident and throw a few things in like “sales of goods act 1973” and most importantly keep calm, sound reasonable and don’t get angry, then you can get a good result. Remember the issue is the laptop NOT the shop. By this I mean that when dealing with the shop make it clear that the laptop is the problem for both of you and that all they need to do to fix the problem is refund the rejected goods and your faith in them will be maintained.After 4 months on a premium product like a Macbook I would want a new one not a repair.
    Or. You could take to an Apple store and they will sort if for you?

CHB

Also remember that under SOGA (sales of goods act), that your contract is with the shop that sold it NOT with Apple.
    I guarantee the shop will try to slide their responsibility towards “well we have to send it away for testing”.
    This is NOT your issue. Keep it simple: You bought from them. It does not work reliably. You are within your rights to reject.
    IF they want to pick up with Apple thats their beef, but its nothing to do with you as your contract is with the shop not Apple and your SOGA protection is between you and the shop. Do not let them fob you off with this lie.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So I’m fully entitled to a refund or replacement, there’s no bolkocky exclusions for computers or owt like that?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@wrighty – yes go back to the shop and ask for a replacement.

Perhaps not the most constructive thing I could say but this is one reason to buy from Apple direct even if mail order. I am pretty sure they would just replace the machine, we’ve had them swap something once and I got a replacement battery for my MacBook (back in 2007 !) when the original failed at 13 months even though officially it was out of warranty. As an aside and in parallel with going back to Currys I would get in touch with Apple directly explaining the situation

jam-bo

Have you tried Apple direct? They replaced my iPhone because the home button was a little bit erratic. It didn’t even do it when I was I store but 30mins later I walked out with a brand new phone. Never any question as to where I got it from.

Cougar

Within six months the onus is on the shop to disprove a fault, not on you to prove it.

The store is liable to rectify any issues (not Apple), but it’s up to them whether they decide to repair or replace. Someone ^^ said you can “reject the goods” and demand a refund; this is incorrect (you can only do that within a short time frame which allows you to inspect the goods).

Given that it’s a Mac, you may well be better served going direct to Apple rather than dealing with Curry’s, as their customer service is excellent. Bear in mind though that a per the previous paragraph it would be your choice if you did this, Curry’s cannot just pass the buck and tell you to go to Apple.

CHB

Have to disagree with Cougar there.
    It is a grey area, based on what is classed as reasonable. But this isn’t about “inspecting the goods” its about “durability and fitness for purpose”. It is in my view entirly reasonable to expect a £1000 laptop to be durable well in excess of 4 months.

Theres a great guide here that puts it better and more comprehensivly than you need:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Matchbook Pro problems. Help please. SOGA and etc’ is closed to new replies.