Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Match day domestic violence up 50%
  • flip
    Free Member
    simonfbarnes
    Free Member

do you want a slap ?

flip
    Free Member

Theres no match on, Sfb 8)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yet another reason for football to be banned 😆

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Some fans have to hand in their passports when matches are on abroad; seems some should be locked up as an extra precaution.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Surely it would be better to let these thugs travel so that they can beat up a foreigner rather than confining them here where they end up taking their frustrations out on friends and family.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yeah, hopefully have them do it all in a country where corporal punishment still exists, lets see if they keep it up when they are treated the same.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Surely this is more to do with drinking than with wendyball per se.

aP
    Free Member

Well on Saturday night there were "young men and women" walking up and down the road round where I live until gone midnight shouting "we hate USA, break their necks" until 4 police cars and a van turned up and hoovered them up after some further "Loud discussions".

0091paddy
    Free Member

Sums football fans up.

trailmonkey

wise words 0091paddy, they're all like that aren't they.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member
    Surely this is more to do with drinking than with wendyball per se.

Have you seen how much beer gets swilled at rugby and cricket matches? Masses. More than that, in fact.

It's not about the booze.

Drac

Yup Ian has it's the booze, yes when matches are on people drink more but you don't have to drink because there's match on. If they didn't then there wouldn't be such an increase in violence.

trailmonkey

ok cap'n what is it about ?

say what you're alluding to.

scaredypants

It's not about the booze

It's not about anything without more info regarding the variability between weekends generally
    Anyhow,I reckon the rugby's to blame – that's what started everyone off at 10.30 in the pubs, isn't it ?

sc-xc

Rugby fans are way more dangerous than football fans. At least with footie fans you haven't got the danger of being bored to death.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well you live in a shit area then aP – you had better move 😉

TomB

We (ambulance service) had a memo round saying there was a 20% surge in emergency calls every time england played in the last world cup, I expect police experience the same.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I, for one, felt like punching someone when Green fumbled the ball into the goal. I mean, come on, who didn't? You can't punch the players can you? I'm still explaining it to mrs deadly and the police… 🙂

Macavity
    Free Member

Football and domestic violence – BBC Law in Action

"But a closer look at the evidence casts doubt on whether there really is such a link and traces the idea that there is back to an urban myth from the United States"

BadlyWiredDog

Have you seen how much beer gets swilled at rugby and cricket matches? Masses. More than that, in fact.

It's not about the booze.

Absolutely old chap, it's a class thing, what? The plebs just can't handle the pop. Read the link, it's not drinking at the game that's the issue, it's about a rise in domestic violence due to the increased general consumption of alcohol during world cup matches at home and in pubs. It's not about football violence, it's about dysfunctional people beating up their spouses.

But don't let that stop you having a pop at football eh. And it most likely is all about the booze because it's a powerful depressant and mood disinhibitor, so you end up with very dark, angry people who lose control easily.

Obviously if people watched rugger and cricket it wouldn't happen because most of them would fall asleep. Ditto the Tour, golf and most tennis 😉

samuri
    Free Member

The South African authorities have made anti-rape devices available for free while the world cup is on so it's clear there's a link there.

Now come on football fans, you're either rapists or wife beaters, you can't have it both ways you know.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Now come on football fans, you're either rapists or wife beaters, you can't have it both ways you know

I'm currently undecided. Do I have to be one of those? Can't I be a mindless vandal instead, or beat up some foreigners?
    I watched the football quite impassively the other day. I feel like I'm missing out on the whole experience.
    I blame my son. I used to take him to home matches at O.T. but I guess he was cramping my style. All I wanted to be doing was scrapping with the coppers in the Stretford End.

konabunny
    Free Member

"But a closer look at the evidence casts doubt on whether there really is such a link and traces the idea that there is back to an urban myth from the United States"
    Pipped at the post – the actual Law in Action podcast is well worth listening to – although in fact the journalist who does the report (not Rosenberg) is very fast and loose with the facts himself. For instance, it's not that the idea is an urban myth, it's just that the suggestion that there is concrete and fulsome data to prove it is untrue. There are various baskets of data that do show a relationship but they're not necessarily substantial enough for much certainty.

There was a comment in the podcast that was not given much attention but it was about domestic violence policing really being about homicide prevention – it's a concept well worth thinking about.

highclimber
    Free Member

Staffordshire Police said 43 reported incidents out of a population of more than 1m people was 50% higher than for a typical Saturday night, but also included reports of domestic incidents where no crimes had been committed

from the OP's link it would seem they are combining statistics to make it sound worse than it is.

jimster
    Free Member

I think supermarkets help fuel this – I mean 3 cases of wifebeater, sorry Stella for £18, I mean works out a 50p a can FFS!!!

Wish they'd do the offer for ale, not this insipid chemical lager sh**e!!

BigDummy
    Free Member

No-one hits their wife because they think it's a fun thing to do. They do it because they get worked up and angry (and because they're drinking, usually) and because they lack self-control and are asshats.

I can't really identify with people who get worked up over the football, but it clearly does seem to work people up in a way that bike racing, athletics, cricket, Desperate Housewives or even Avi Shlaim don't. Ho hum.

fontmoss
    Free Member

if you're a cock and you watch football you hit people because you're a cock, not because you watch football. football just seems to attract more cocks

Cougar

It's the "violent computer games" argument all over again. Someone plays Grand Theft Auto and then goes out and offs someone with a shotgun, it's not because he's been playing GTA, it's because he's 'kin wrong in the head.

As much as I dislike football, I think the same applies. If you slap your wife about, it's not because you watch football, it's because you're a bloody thug who can't control his drinking and / or emotions.

Proof, I've played GTA and never killed anyone. I know plenty of football fans who don't beat up their wives. (Actually, I know a disproportionate number who are single, but that's another matter…)

Cougar

No-one hits their wife because they think it's a fun thing to do.

Sadly, I doubt that's completely true.

konabunny
    Free Member

It's the "violent computer games" argument all over again.

No, it's not.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Where does it say its wife beating?

Ever tried living with a football fan? Aside from being ignored totaly for 90minutes, your then expected to have done all the housework, cooked dinner, washed up and done the laundry while they watched it. You then have to vie for attention with the mobile and laptop/facebook whilst they spend the next 2 hours pouring over the result with friends as if the world had stoped because of a game of wendyball.

hora
    Free Member

I'm not even going to comment but if Lewis looses on Sunday I may do some bitch-slappin'! 😯 :mrgreen:

fontmoss
    Free Member

there's no need to call lewis a bitch, Houns 🙂

Cougar

No, it's not.

Care to expand on that?

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

OH is in the law and order business … apparently not an urban myth. As some others have said here it's the increased alcohol consumption + heightened emotions + tournament mentality = significant increase in violence towards nearest and dearest!

Another reason not to like football as far as I am concerned, although I'd still like England to win.

johnners
    Free Member

OH is in the law and order business … apparently not an urban myth

The Rozenberg programme was based around questioning whether the Association of Chief Police Officers guidance on the subject had any validity or basis in evidence. The ACPO rep on the programme was unable to support the guidance with any facts.

IanW
    Free Member

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

I'm not sure if there are official stats in this country, but apparently the increase is very obvious around tournaments specifically. Not scientific proof, I realise (and I say this as someone who uses stats for work), but lots of anecdotal evidence apparently, which is worth investigating. It's going to depend on a lot of things, I'm sure … time of day, day of the week, how close it it to pay day, area, etc, etc – it would be interesting to see real figures, though. Perhaps I should offer to run some analyses …

scaredypants

There's a well-established correlation between increased hearties (the cardiovascular events, not the pirates) and major footie matches, especially involving penaty shoot-outs I think

I imagine there might well be one with violence in general, possibly smaller than sonme other events though

For CFH:
    seems cocks will be cocks, regardless of chosen sport

"… assaults in Cardiff between 1 May 1995 and 30 April 2000. … Violence was clustered predominantly on Saturdays and Sundays, New Year and rugby international days…"

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Match day domestic violence up 50%’ is closed to new replies.