Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Massively run down: how to get energy back – your homespun wisdom please :)
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

It’s been a big year. It’s been a difficult year, and it’s taken its toll. I’m tired all the time now, and just generally run down. I know I need to manage stress a bit better, but I just really need to start eating better again:

What are your go to recipes and prescriptions for recovering vitality? Homemade soups? Roasts three times a week? Green smoothies morning noon and night?

I’m not unwell, just in-need of deep nourishment, so I’m wondering what you’ve got…

fisha
    Free Member

Little bit at a time is key.

Go for a short walk and make little bits of time for yourself.
    Have the odd bit of better food.

It slowly adds up and turns for the better but takes a long time. Don’t expect change in a week.

tjagain

I had been “tired all the time” gradually building up over years. Went to my GP and got tested for everything – came back with a very low vit d and have been taking supplements since. It appears to have made a differnce. so try some vit D?

ahsat

Bit less alcohol. Foods such as roasted veg and quiona, home made soups, reduce the exercise (if you are hammering it, increase it a bit of your are not), watch some TV, get more sleep. I understand where you are coming from. Last year was like that for me. Kept getting ill, couldn’t sleep etc as we moved our lives and jobs. Was only really sorted this year when life got more normal again and realised I was lactose intollarant and sorted my diet out. Maybe there is an additional cause?

VanHalen

Multivitamins with iron (a bit of everything cant hurt!) and a walk/bike in the trees every week.

maccruiskeen

Alcohol is bad for your quality of sleep so if you’re a little and often drinker try having more days without a drink.

The time you get up can have a big effect of your ‘restedness’. Its more important to keep to a fixed time waking up than going to bed. Stop having lie-ins at the weekend – those extra hours in bed can mean for the rest of the week you feel like you got up too early. So get up at the same time every day even if you don’t actually do much once you’re up on the weekends

vickypea
    Free Member

Sleep, fresh air, a varied diet. Maybe go and see your GP and get your bloods done?

hairylegs
    Free Member

I know exactly where you’re coming from having been there myself and currently coaching the missus through a similar stage.

It’s a combination of many of the things above – better sleep, resting properly between exercise, improving diet, less alcohol etc, but I think one of the most important is being kind to yourself and don’t expect too much, too soon.

It will take time, but set yourself a series of small, achievable goals. No matter how small, when you achieve them give yourself a pat on the back or a small reward/treat. Also, don’t be afraid to say “no” to other people when they’re asking for your time or putting demands on you.

There’s no one size fits all solution, but the fact that you’ve recognised it and want to change things is a good place to start. Good luck!

maccruiskeen

Judging by the recent threads on the subject theres also something in the STW water with eye sight. I was finding certain tasks fatiguing and having difficulty concentrating – didn’t realise straight away that what I needed was reading glasses

stevious

Salad for lunch most days is a good way to get some veg in you. Eating lots of fruit & veg is pretty much the only diet that has really good evidence of health benefits.

Making sure I have at least one bike ride a week that is non-stressful helps for me too. Just a nice cruise looking at the trees and birds or chatting with my wife or a mate.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Massively run down: how to get energy back – your homespun wisdom please :)’ is closed to new replies.