Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Massive sell-off of Forestry Commission
  • actiondan
    Free Member

“The UK Government has confirmed rumours of a massive sell-off of Forestry Commission woodland, which could include areas popular with mountain bikers such as Cannock Chase, the Forest of Dean and Grizedale Forest. The government could sell up to half of the 1.85 million acres of woodland currently managed by the Forestry Commission, this includes mountain biking hubs like Hamsterley, Whinlatter, Delamere, Dalby, Cannock Chase, Sherwood Pines, Wyre forest and Haldon Forest Park. According to the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs: “All of the Forestry Commission’s sites are included in the proposals.”

What next?

BermBandit
    Free Member

I’d be interested to know where that apparent quote came from dan. Its not quite the same as the picture we are getting directly from the FC. There are however, no end of journos running around trying to whip up a story out of nothing.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

oooh an unattributed article on the Internet – must be true then.

“Pigs were seen flying yesterday. “This is the result of a top secret government programme” a spokesman said”.

It must be true, it’s here, on the Internet

BermBandit
    Free Member

Yep thought so.

Just added a few words to it that make it more accurate.

a sell-off of Forestry Commission woodland, which could or could not include areas popular with mountain bikers such as Cannock Chase, the Forest of Dean and Grizedale Forest. The government could or could not sell up to half of the 1.85 million acres of woodland currently managed by the Forestry Commission. This managed land includes mountain biking hubs like Hamsterley, Whinlatter, Delamere, Dalby, Cannock Chase, Sherwood Pines, Wyre forest and Haldon Forest Park. According to the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs: “All of the Forestry Commission’s sites are included in the proposals

This is a part of the spending reveiw proposals, where a realisation of assets is one facet of the scheme. Any such realisation would go to public consultation and that is unlikely to be completed in less that 4 – 5 years. The expectation is that it is likely to represent 15 – 20% of the forest estate which is expected to be the least profitable and most difficult to manage. i.e. smaller isolated units with nothing other than forestry to sustain them. ie very unlikely to be the larger sites with multiple revenue streams, either way the process has barely started and no one currently knows any detail other than simply guessing.

The best way forward is to get yourself into a position where your voice has as much clout as possible. So join your local trail group as they will be the sort of people who get consulted. A group representing 20 members will not get as much say as one representing 2000 its that simple!!

thefod
    Free Member

Save the forest: Please sign the petition now
    http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/save-our-forests

rockhopper789
    Free Member

The plans are true.
    WE CANNOT ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN.
    Please sign the petition at http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/save-our-forests
    Also, why not put a poster at your local forest advertising the plans to gain awareness? The more people we have against it the more chance we have of winning. A sample poster will soon be on my website for you to print off and distribute- http://www.cheshire-wildlife.co.uk
    In the meantime email me at carp4u@hotmail.co.uk and I will email you the poster. Please help fight these ridiculous plans

Regards, Alex

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Massive sell-off of Forestry Commission’ is closed to new replies.