• This topic has 28 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Massive explosion in China
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Gas plant I think.. 😯

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeXBME2YVQo[/video]

brant
    Free Member

Thoughts with them. We have a frame factory there.

piemonster

That is mental 😯

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

How tall is that fireball 🙁

eskay

gofasterstripes – Member

How tall is that fireball

Looks like several housing tower blocks in front of the explosion, they are usually pretty tall in China so the fireball is massive.

Must be horrendous in the surrounding area. Thoughts are with them.

seosamh77
    Free Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJJVYYxcc5s

more videos here. i hope that one with the guy isn’t real.

Huge explosion reported in Chinese port city of Tianjin from worldnews

i think there’s going to be loads of casualties from this, absolutley enormous.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Christ almighty. Not good.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In the OP video, does the guy sort of jump backwards as a result of the shockwave from the explosion? Looks horrendous! 😯

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye, he got a fright from the shockwave. turn your volum up and listen to it, can almost feel the force watching it never mind feeling it.

nuke

😯 Awful. Hate to think of the number of casualties 🙁

oldnpastit

As far as I can tell, I was in a hotel just a few hundred yards from that very port a few years ago 😯

choppersquad
    Free Member

If it’s correct that only seven people died in the blast, it’s a miracle.
    Truely terrifying.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Second blast equivalent to 21 tons of tnt!!!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

from that reddit thread:

They said no one is alive within 1 km of the explosion(Busted), the explosions happened in tanggu district which is close to residential area.(550meters away), at least three estates in that area.
    The total population of Binhai is 2.5 millions and the population density in the area is expected 2000/kmsq, expected injuries/casualties will be around 7000~70000.

Jesus Christ that’s terrible

seosamh77
    Free Member

dirtbiker100 – Member
    from that reddit thread:
    They said no one is alive within 1 km of the explosion(Busted), the explosions happened in tanggu district which is close to residential area.(550meters away), at least three estates in that area.
    The total population of Binhai is 2.5 millions and the population density in the area is expected 2000/kmsq, expected injuries/casualties will be around 7000~70000.
    Jesus Christ that’s terrible

i think their estimates are miles off.

alpineharry
    Free Member

Flipping heck! Was Not expecting it to be that big! Thoughts to those affected

andyl
    Free Member

That’s not gas. Got to be explosives. Reminds me of the blasts from from when they blitzed Iraq.

nach
    Free Member

After seeing some aerial photos of the aftermath in daylight, and that workers dormitories in the port facilities have been mangled, I’m finding it hard to believe the official figures on deaths and casualties so far 🙁

wwaswas

Looks terrible.

apparently they recorded two ‘earthquakes’ locally one of 2.1 and 2.9 as the explosions occurred.

TheBrick
    Free Member

+1 The parking lotts full of burn out cars, shipping containers thrown around and crushed like cans. I expect unfortunatly the death rate will be more likly in the 100s than the 10s as currently being stated.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Gas plant I think..

Difficult to say for sure, but that didn’t look like a leak or a BLEVE. Fireworks, explosives, fertilizer maybe?

After seeing some aerial photos of the aftermath in daylight, and that workers dormitories in the port facilities have been mangled, I’m finding it hard to believe the official figures on deaths and casualties so far

Seemed weird that the BBC guy was walking around the flattened dormitories and there was no-one there, maybe they got lucky and it was a meal time elsewhere? But the complete lack of police presence or rescue effort was surreal.

seosamh77
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Gas plant I think..
    Difficult to say for sure, but that didn’t look like a leak or a BLEVE. Fireworks, explosives, fertilizer maybe?

tbh I don’t know, I was just repeating what I seen elsewhere.

globalti
    Free Member

You have to wonder how this kind of thing can happen. People I know who travel to China on business have witnessed rioting in several cities, none of which is ever reported in the media naturally. In Indonesia there are four warehouses full of patchouli oil, a valuable commodity, 95% of which comes from Indonesia and is so valuable that it is controlled by criminal gangs. One night a few years ago the warehouses of two of the four exporters burned down, causing a huge rise in the world price. In Lagos a few years ago a massive ammunition dump exploded near the airport, full of huge bombs left over from the Biafran war. The explosion was caused by a fire where people were stealing fuel from a petrol station inside the Nigeria Air Force base. It would be pretty difficult to cause a sea container or warehouse full of explosives to blow up unless you had deliberate intent or a very careless fire nearby.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It would be pretty difficult to cause a sea container or warehouse full of explosives to blow up unless you had deliberate intent or a very careless fire nearby.

There’s been a spate of petrochemical plant explosions in China recently, not hard to believe that it was an industrial accident.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Terrible

From what I read many firefighters where killed so it seems they where fighting a blaze after the first explosion when the second larger one went off. Not hard to imagine a lack of Chinese safety standards / illegal material storage was a factor. If there was a petrochemical plant there we’d be able to see it on Google Earth

squirrelking
    Free Member

It would be pretty difficult to cause a sea container or warehouse full of explosives to blow up unless you had deliberate intent or a very careless fire nearby.

You think? Heres what happens when incorrectly billed containers are mixed together:

Hyundai Fortune

According to a statement to the US House of Representatives Homeland Security Appropriations Committee, “The cause of the fire is believed to have been a container loaded with petroleum-based cleaning fluids stowed near the engine room. The shipper failed to indicate the hazardous nature of this shipment to Hyundai Fortune, undoubtedly to avoid the special handling fees associated with transporting hazardous materials.”[3]

It can, and does happen. I wouldn’t be surprised if this turns out to be a repeat event. I also wouldn’t be surprised if someone ends up with a death sentence for this if it is the case.

Travis

The owner of the facility has already been detained, and the company a few years ago was reprimanded over packaging failure.

alpin
    Free Member
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Massive explosion in China’ is closed to new replies.