Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Massive EXCEL problem, anyone please help ?
  • roadiesean
    Free Member

Hi, I am having this problem with both my EXCEL FOR MAC and my PC version (I think whatever problem there is I have crossed it between the machines as I email spreadsheets to myself to work in different places)

If anyone can help me out at all, I would be so massively appreciative, it is killing me !

Historically I have always managed to use Hyperlinks to link directly to a webpage by copying the URL, pasting it into the Cell and then editing the Hyperlink so that the surname of the person who’s Linkedin page I want to link it to shows in the Cell.

This still works the first time I put a hyperlink into a spreadsheet, but only the first time. What happens next then is that when I paste the next link onto the sheet,

1, it doesn’t turn blue (the URL link in the cell)
    2. when you try and edit the Hyperlink, that URL is now in the DISPLAY box and the LINK TO box is empty with a blue ring around the box and under no circumstances can you copy the URL into the LINK TO box.

If I instead of pasting directly into the Cell I try to INSERT HYPERLINK, it will not allow me at all to paste the URL into the LINK TO box, yes I can paste it into the DISPLAY box again, but I would need to type the entire URL into the LINK TO box. Again, this will work the FIRST TIME I try and paste a link into a brand new spreadsheet.

I do research for a living and this is causing me a massive problem, I would normally cut and paste a couple of hundred links a day and I have never had a problem, but this is killing me and driving me COMPLETELY MAD !!

HHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP !!!!

irelanst
    Free Member

I can recreate the first problem, that a pasted address doesn’t automatically turn into a hyperlink; but if you double click in the cell and paste the address then hit enter it always turns into a hyperlink.

I can’t recreate the second part of the problem though, I thought it migh be something to do with workbook sharing but that just greys out the hyperlin functions.

All on PC running Excel 2010 BTW

irelanst
    Free Member

Just had a thought, are you using IE or another browser to generate the URL?

If using Safari? it may include the data type in the URL so Excel might get confused.

You could try right click, paste special in excel and select “keep text only” and then convert to a hyperlink?

Not sure how that would explain the fact that it will work one time and not on subsequent attempts though

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Try This?
    F2 then enter
    Or use the hyperlink function in a separate column

muddy_bum
    Free Member

just noticed, try pasting the address into the formula bar rather than directly into the cell.

roadiesean
    Free Member

OH…….MY………GOD !!!

It works !!!!!!! Double click the Cell and that works on the Mac

BUT none of them work on the PC, 😥 tried the F2, tried the double click, tried pasting into the formula bar and the Paste Special and none of them work at all………..you’ve sorted the key issue out, but the PC one is still a problem, come on STW’ers, thinking caps on !!

Why did I persist with the idiots on the MS forum for so long. If you have a problem, get a mountain biker to sort it !

roadiesean
    Free Member

The thing is that I use Google Chrome because Internet Explorer seems to be so massively unstable on my PC. When I use it though (IE) I can at least use the browse webpages links and use it that way, When I manage to use IE, I can INSERT-HYPERLINK and click on WEBPAGE, then the stupid paperclip comes up and says AN ERROR OCCURED WHILE BROWSING FILES, when I then Click on OK the URL goes in to the WEBPAGE NAME and the name of the person goes into the TEXT TO DISPLAY section.

This is an old version of MS OFFICE btw. I think its 2000 so its old and has never been a problem until about 2 months ago.

Any ideas ???

geoffj

Have you tried xobni?

irelanst
    Free Member

Have you switched off autocorrect? I can’t remember how to turn it on or off in 2000 though.

As muddy_bum says have you tried the Hyperlink function;

In cell A1 type the name you want to display, in cell B1 paste the URL, in C1 type =HYPERLINK(B1,A1) if that doesn’t work then your Excel is broken! Note, you could always put the data on a seperate worksheet or hide the columns if you don’t want to see it.

roadiesean
    Free Member

irelanst – that works !!! but a convoluted way to do something that up till now had always worked. Is there a work around it route maybe ?

Oh and autocorrect is switched on, should it be all unticked ??

geoffj, is xobni good ????

Thanks everyone, thank you so much.

irelanst
    Free Member

Autocorrect, all boxes are ticked in mine.

Is there a work around? I can’t think of one. As you say it was working and has stopped, so something has changed somewhere, either a setting in Excel or the browser. It’s difficult to really try things because I don’t have 2000 or Chrome to play with.

IMHO if you need to do a lot of links then the HYPERLINK function should be easier to work with, you can directly edit the information in cells rather than the hyperlink and you can use the information for other things if needed.

Can you do a new install of Excel? A pain I know but it might clear something.

roadiesean
    Free Member

I’d need to buy one !! And I hate giving my money to Microsoft !!! 😉

irelanst
    Free Member

One last thing, is the workbook shared? If it is then hyperlinks won’t be created automatically, although I don’t think the Insert Hyperlink options works then either so that’s probably a red herring.

roadiesean
    Free Member

Nope, not shared. Not that I know anyway…..how would I know ? It is every spreadsheet though even brand new ones and ones that I have successfully pasted hyperlinks on in the past. There has obviously been a global change to the Excel. May need to remove and reload Excel from the discs ?

irelanst
    Free Member

[Quote]Nope, not shared. Not that I know anyway…..how would I know ?[/quote]
    I can’t remember in 2000, it’s pretty unlikely that it’s though if it doesn’t work in a new workbook.

It is every spreadsheet though even brand new ones and ones that I have successfully pasted hyperlinks on in the past. There has obviously been a global change to the Excel. May need to remove and reload Excel from the discs ?

That’s what I meant here;

Can you do a new install of Excel? A pain I know but it might clear something.

So yeah, give that a try!

roadiesean
    Free Member

irelanst, you are a scholar and a gent ! Thanks mate and a very Merry Christmas !!!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Massive EXCEL problem, anyone please help ?’ is closed to new replies.