• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Massive calorie discrepency
  • SaxonRider

I just came back from a short-ish run, which I found agonising (because I generally find running unpleasant.

In any case, I Strava told me I averaged 7 km/h for 29 minutes, which (again, according to Strava) means I burnt 406 calories.

Myfitnesspal, on the other hand, tells me it was only worth about 310 calories.

I can handle a bit of a difference, but that’s a 25%. I prefer the Strava number, but want to be realistic. So what’s your scientific opinion? Between the two, which tends to be closer to reality?

Did I burn 400ish or 300ish?

nosedive
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis

200ish

MrPottatoHead

Do both apps know your weight?

scotroutes

Which one was using your HRM?

molgrips
    Free Member

These tools have no idea how much energy you’ve used up, they are just guessing. The real value varies wildly based on so many things.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

All I know is that when I let Strava “guess” calories used during exercise, as opposed to feeding it heart rate as well, it reads much higher than reality.

Cougar

200ish

Calories or STW pages?

SaxonRider

All I know is that when I let Strava “guess” calories used during exercise, as opposed to feeding it heart rate as well, it reads much higher than reality.

THAT’S the kind of thing I was looking for. I wouldn’t have expected anything accurate; just hoping that I did better on the activity versus intake than I have for the last few days!

molgrips
    Free Member

You’ll be using up energy afterwards to recover too.

SaxonRider

You’ll be using up energy afterwards to recover too.

Nice! Sounds like I can have another piece of cake. 8)

Jamie
    Free Member

*skip to the end*

Roughly 100kcal per mile is what I use.

Soooo you ran 2.1023 miles-ish, so 200kcal.

Remember, it’s better to underestimate, than overestimate. The latter just makes you molgrips 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member
    SaxonRider

We seem to do this about once a week…

So I got this week’s allowance.

I will await next week’s with self-satisfaction.

leffeboy

Consider yourself lucky. The older Garmins overestimate by a factor of 2. Newer ones seem much better if they have your proper weight and hrm

But its still only an estimate

bikebouy
    Free Member

Buggerall.

You need to run for at least an hour before you burn anything.

Stored fat stays with you until you run out of that slimy stuff in your muscles, once that’s gone you burn fat.

Build slowly, walk if joints hurt, lay off if sore, back on it once soreness has gone then build until you can run an hour at pace before trying to estimate calorific usage.

See you in a week when your joints give up and you start another thread called “ouch, why..??”

mrblobby
    Free Member

I will await next week’s with self-satisfaction.

I have last week’s copied and ready to paste 🙂

Remember, it’s better to underestimate, than overestimate.

Depends on your objective.

Jamie
    Free Member

Depends on your objective.

You win this round, Blobby.

If indeed that is your real name!

*smokebomb*

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Massive calorie discrepency’ is closed to new replies.