Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Massif Central
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

Anyone know anything about riding in this area, on or off road. Looks interesting.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I went last year armed with a *bike, map and bivvy bag. Some good riding with plenty of big climbs. I rode a mix of quiet roads and off road, just followed my front wheel really … nice part of the world.

* Singlespeed may have been a mistake.

Ambrose

Been there a few times, it is really lovely, sort of like a warm Mid Wales with amazing food/ wine. I’ve done a few day rides around Volvic, Puy du Dome, and walked/ kayaked in the Tarn/ Lot area. easy striking distance from the Dordogne too, loads to do and see.

ianv
    Free Member

super besse is a great little bike park in the north (45mins south of clarmont ferrand), la lioran is ok but only has has one run. the landscape further south looked ace but i have only driven through it.

olaf_hansen
    Free Member

I haven’t been – but done plenty in the Alpes Maritimes and Drome area. The French are very good at signposting off road trails. And they don’t stick with the safe gravel road option. If there’s singletrack, and it’s on the route – they’ll take you down it, gnarly or not. There’s probably a bit lsss in the MC.

How’s your French? Take a look at this:
    massif central book

smokey_jo

I’ve knocked together a nice 15 mile route around Pleaux. Mail me if you want a gpx of it.

Ianv – have you got any more info about Super Besse?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I did a 7 day tour there in 2002.

It’s great. Mountains that aren’t silly big, nice wee towns, not too touristy, few Brits.

I flew to St Etienne

DO IT.

ianv
    Free Member

Ianv – have you got any more info about Super Besse

Spent a day there last summer. its got a wicked blue, 2 reasonably technical reds with some steep sections and a black that was used for a french downhill championship race, There is also a load of wood modules towards the bottom. You could easily spend a few days there.

The locals are super friendly and the bars are cheap (and gave out free rounds). Cost about 20Euros a day for the gondila. Its also not far from La Bourboule which has some stuff as well and is a centre VTT FFC.

Highly recommended.

smokey_jo

1:25k maps are expensive and small so http://iphigénie.com/ is worth a look

smokey_jo

Cheers Ianv, I’ll be checking that out in August then 🙂

ianv
    Free Member
    smokey_jo

Thanks for the link Ian, plotting to do now 🙂

fourbanger
    Free Member

Didn’t expect such a response. Didn’t realise there was much ridding there, thanks for your replies! We have a house slightly to the south and I have a vision!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Massif Central’ is closed to new replies.