Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Massage sticks – do they work?
  • IHN

This kind of thing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271938380162

Especially for calves and quads

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I started with a stick type thing, and it never really worked. It was ok if you had a very specific knot etc that you needed to work on.

However I then got a foam roller thing, much better and actually helps your legs recover from a work out.

Edit: this kind of thing..

jonba
    Free Member

In my experience yes, but with limitations.

I have a stick that I take travelling or to races as they are far more convenient than my roller (not helped by the fact my roller is actually a 3ft long pilates one).

Good for most musche groups except I can struggle to do the top of my ham strings and glutes as I can’t get enough force onto it. Rubber ball can be a lightweight substitute.

In general I’ve found sticks, rollers and balls to be far and away the best thing to help recover after racing and hard rides. Much more so than protein shakes and stretching. For that price I’d buy one and try it out.

Northwind

I have one that’s 2 spiky balls on a stick, it looks fairly ridiculous but it’s great. I can’t comapre with a proper foam roller routine, that’s not really me, I just need something I can pick up and mash my leg with.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Of course a proper physio would be better than all but they work out more expensive…

jonba
    Free Member

Not sure my budget extends to employing a private soigner/physio for massages after every race (average more than one a week April-November).

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Not sure my budget extends to employing a private soigner/physio for massages after every race

No, but a couple of very very good runners I know go about once every 2 months. They say it has a marked difference for their recovery.

Northwind

I go to a physio every few months, but I’ve got a fairly ****ed leg and back. But, it’s not all about the session, they can and probably should give you takeaway stuff- stretches and exercises, advice on stuff like this. My last session was probably 30 minutes massage and 30 minutes “stuff to do, to not need another massage”

It feels a bit weird to me- I thought it’s a bit like your mechanic showing you how to service the car- but I suppose it’s more like them telling you how to check the oil.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Massage sticks – do they work?’ is closed to new replies.