Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mason Definition,Resolution or Bowmans Pilgrims?
  • Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Very tempted by another road bike.
    Just looking at this breed of all day disc brake road bike.
    Any owners?
    Are they as good as the tests say they are?
    Thanks,
    Max

drlex
    Free Member

This review almost has me reaching for my wallet. Holding off for a version that will take a larger tyre, though. Looks like you can trial the Mason frames.

MoreCashThanDash

Check out the Road.cc reviews of the Masons. In my lottery winning daydreams I’m torn between those and the Etape Disc, though one of each to compare Ti, steel and aluminium would be nice!

Edit Reread your post, you’ve obviously read the reviews. Not sure the Masons are available as yet?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yes,
    Very enticing reviews!
    Must admit the alloy Definition looks appealing.
    Price is high but not unreasonable.
    Comfort is still a thought with the alloy frame.
    The other factor is I have a perfectly fine Kinesis Gran Fondo titanium V1 at home and don’t really want to replace that!
    Thanks ,
    Max

oxym0r0n

Really like them, apart from the rearward facing seat clamp. Hope they fix this for the more cx orientated version…

therevokid
    Free Member

I’d be all over the resolution if, like turnerfan, i didn’t already
    have a gran fondo (mine’s the v2) in the stable !

trevorsky
    Free Member

I have a Mason Definition. Had it a couple of weeks. It is lovely. The finish is stunning. At £900 I would say it was excellent value. For that you get a really well made, well designed frame, with a light, matching full carbon fork, headset, and seatpost clamp. The internal cabling works really well, the multiport system is fantastic.
    I preordered as soon as Dominic would let me. I based the decision to order purely on appearance and specification. I drew it up in CAD to check size. I was still cacking it a bit waiting for the 2 months. But when it arrived, all that was forgotten.
    It arrived on a Friday, first ride was 2 days later, a nice 60 miles, with a climb up Kirkstone pass. It is sublime to ride, stiff but not harsh. Acceleration is addictive, the way it translates every watt of power into forward motion is fantastic. I am really happy with it.
    Dominic has done a cracking job with these frames, obviously piling all his extensive experience, and passion into them. The view from the saddle down past the glorious head badge, the way the headtube tapers into the fork, then the gently curving forks, superb.

ceepers

I’m slowly talking myself into a definition!

@trevorsky very envious! What’s your build and how much does it weigh please?

Correct if I’m wrong but I think the pilgrim is a bit more “gravel/cx” in outlook then the masons which are very definitely “proper” road bikes

trevorsky
    Free Member

Not sure on total weight, I don’t have any scales. Will be sub 18lb.
    It is set up SRAM force modified to 1 x 10, with trp spyre brakes, and sun black flag wheels (which are 2kg). Will be changing the wheels in August, to something a bit lighter.
    It is definitely a road bike, a four season one, not sure whether I could bring myself to show it salty roads though.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yeah,
    Feeling the love for the Definition.
    Generally found early alloy bikes transmitted a lot of shock to my body which is the reason I bought titanium.
    I think the current alloy bikes are changing this view.
    The Bowmans was an option and even described as a gravel bike.
    Looking at the setup on the Bowman site they built it up as more of a proper road bike.I spose it’s another option and a reasonable price.
    Thanks,
    Max

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Acceleration is addictive, the way it translates every watt of power into forward motion is fantastic.

😆 Have you never ridden a road bike before?

trevorsky
    Free Member

Lots of them David. It just has more ‘race bike’ like responses, rather than the response of one of those road bikes built for fatty sportive riders. 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

As a fatty sportive/audax rider, would it be too harsh and/or racy for 200k days out?

The reviews so far suggest not?

STATO
    Free Member

I get a little confused by the new trend for boutique but stock frames. They look amazing but for the price you could get something built to your spec from a known custom builder. These stock frame while undoubtedly well designed and made are done based on height only, with custom frame your weight can be accounted too, which (for te average stw’er) would make a big difference in ride.

rj
    Free Member

I’ve been tussling with the same question. Having read what Bowman have to say and the first ride review on road.cc Bowman Pilgrims First Ride it seems to be very much a road bike, albeit one that will take a bit of rough, rather than a gravel or CX-lite kind of thing. For me it comes down to whether I want to pay a bit extra for something that essentially does the same job (and is slightly heavier), but is ‘nicer’. We’re not talking Ford Focus versus 911 here, more like Alfa and Maserati. Personally I’m leaning towards the definition because I like the idea of building something that’s beautiful and a little bit exclusive. But, I’ve already changed my mind twice, so who knows?

trevorsky
    Free Member

I doubt you would get a custom frameset for £900. The Resolution at £1500 is close to a custom price though. It’s choice. I couldn’t really afford over £1500, or, the wait of 12 to 18 months for a full custom from a reputable builder.
    As for morecash’s question, the Resolution is probably more suited to you. I haven’t ridden one though, so can only go on reviews.

ceepers

So for those interested in weight,

According to dom a 52 definition frame is 1590g and a 105 build with trp spyres cable discs will be a hair below 9kg.

Food for thought. I’ve got a caad8 at the moment which is 8.4kg and is a good bike but the nicheness (and the discs ) of the masons appeal to me

ransos
    Free Member

I doubt you would get a custom frameset for £900.

£1000 buys you a custom Rourke in 853.

http://www.rourke.biz/custom_framesets.php

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mason Definition,Resolution or Bowmans Pilgrims?’ is closed to new replies.