Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Marzocchi to stop producing bike stuff?
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Still loving my 2001 Z1 drop offs. Running flawlessly for 10 years. Wasn’t aware they’d lost reputation at all.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Also still running 04 z1 forks. Have been a cracking fork, 2 services in that time. Only looking to upgrade now to a 20mm axle. Will put these on another bike and keep running them. Maybe I’m light on forks, i still run a set of ’98 SIDS- always gets comments when they come out!

flow
    Free Member

I still have a pair of 2001 Z2 BAM’s in the shed, they were shit. They have a bent steerer, and the stanchions are worn on both legs. Didn’t exactly work well when they were new either from what I remember, they were always blowing seals.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s a great shame to hear this, Marzocchi seem to have turned around the quality problems of the mid 2000s and I’ve read some rave reviews about their stuff. The 55s in particular look very interesting.

Let’s hope that someone suitable takes them over.

cchris2lou

SR Suntour are buying them to carry on production .

mrmo
    Free Member

Oldfart,

Any faulty forks will have to be sorted under the standard sales of goods act, which means returning to the shop you bought them at. Any extended guarantees beyond SoG your out of luck unless the new brand owner decides to honour it.

hora
    Free Member

Sram must be laughing. Fox won’t even notice.

How could they move production to the far east, put their prices high for what they are and still lose money? Was there a gold coin inside every steerer?

At their rrp I’d have Fox any day of the week over Mazz. I remember saying ‘wow old technology with spangly paint at 600+ are they mad’?

philjunior
    Free Member

Hmmm, 2001 Z1’s still going strong here, along with far less used 2005 MX Comps.

That said, the bad years were bad. Had some on a hire bike, thought how bad could it be etc, but they were terrible and I know several people that had to take stuff back – we’re not just talking a short life and a bit of stanchion wear here, we’re talking scrap metal in months.

Pity as it sounded like they had sorted things out and I had some earmarked for “next bike”. Hope they keep the quality up and gimmickry down if they continue (and that they keep selling spares for my old forks, not that I’ll need all that many).

cookeaa

Still using some 02 mxc and 03 DJ3 both bought 2nd hand… pissed all over the RS dukes and psylos of the same era (IMO).

The 2008 “issues” did for their reputation with those into bikes and seems long term to have affected OEM sales too which is probably the bigger impact on the business.

I’ll be interested once the interweb chinese whispers die down to see what actually becomes of them. I think there is still some value in the brand. just not as much as there was say 98 – 2000ish.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Would make sense for Suntour to buy them. I’d very much doubt that someone like Hope or Planet X would have the disposable assets to pay off Marzocchi’s debts.

smogmonster

The big question will be, what forks for owning burglars once Marzocchi have gone?

fullysussed
    Free Member

shame, I was just contemplating moving back to them from fox for my next set.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Definitely considering buying a pair of 55 rc3 ti before they disappear. My solo air totems are nothing compared to my 44’s in terms of soaking up general trail rocks and roots.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I still have a pair of 2001 Z2 BAM’s in the shed, they were shit. They have a bent steerer, and the stanchions are worn on both legs. Didn’t exactly work well when they were new either from what I remember, they were always blowing seals.

What the hell did you do to them? Was it the alloy steerer type? I believe the running gear in most of the range were fairly similar at that time and I know dozens of people still running forks from that era that swear by them. Suppose everyone can’t get a good fork though, must have been some dodgy ones.

mike_p
    Free Member

It would be a tragedy if Marzocchi disappears… currently got two on bikes: a 2004 MX Pro, which works as good as new; and an older MXR. A sad lesson in corporate stupidity… some of these pillocks know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. 🙁

Crag
    Free Member

As others have said, real shame if they are to go.

Still got some ’04 Marathons on my hardtail that are as good as they were when new (in performance anyway, appearance these days is a little ‘rugged’), despite only having a couple of oil changes in that time.

In terms of price and weight, they were always up against it. A price sometimes worth paying when the quality and reliability is good. When its bad, then people stay clear. Bit of a shock that its happened now, just as they are slowing regaining a bit of faith from the masses.

I wonder if as many people will still be running the same Fox/Rockshox forks with little/no service 10 years from now. Somehow I think not.

The nearest thing to a fit and forget mountain bike component I’ve ever had I reckon. Glad I’ve got some 2010 55’s in the potting shed ready for when the Lyriks die.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

The other two fork manufacturers have got too complacement with their captive share of the market. It seems to be common(accepted) practice these days to have to add your own oil to new forks as they can’t be bothered to put enough in at the factory…on £700+ forks!!!
    Having to repair their bad image seems to have made Marz really up their game. The market needs Marz (and others) to add a bit of much needed competition, both in terms of quality and cost.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

latest post on Marz website gives a bit of hope 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi to stop producing bike stuff?’ is closed to new replies.