• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Marzocchi QR15 problems
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The QR15 axle on my 44’s has just self destructed. Does anyone know how they work?

The QR lever has come off leaving the axle in the fork. The QR barrel nut seems to be held onto a threaded QR rod with a grub screw. When you unwind the axle it appears that you’re relying on the grub holding the threaded section tightly enough to allow you to unwind it. I think mine has stuck (it gets undone at the start and end of every ride) and in trying to unwind it the grub has stripped all the thread off the rod and wont grip tightly enough to undo the axle.

Any suggestions before I ring Windwave?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

bump for the Monday crowd

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Pictures?

Can’t you screw it back on?

Yak

I’ve done the same. It’s a truly bad design imo, and certainly when compared to the simplicity of a shimano 12mm rear axle. Why a thin threaded rod and some threadlock is integral to a 15mm axle is beyond me.

Anyway, you need to use some grips on the captive nut and undo it. You will make a mess of nut, but you’ll need a new axle assembly anyway, so all this goes in the bin.

I found this wasn’t covered under warranty and that it was my fault for doing it up too tightly. I bought a replacement from ukbikestore, who were great and sent it out for next day delivery. I don’t do it up very tight now.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with my 55axle and resurrected it using a dremmel

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Right. I’m assuming there aren’t any aftermarket replacements and all Qr15 axles are specific to the OEM?

Yak

I looked for aftermarket and it seems there is lots for rockshox and fox, but nothing for marzocchi unfortunately, unless my search fu is poor.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi QR15 problems’ is closed to new replies.