Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Marzocchi 55s – That Bad??
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Looking at new (second hand) forks and seen LOADS of 55's for what seem to be silly money compared to Pikes etc. What gives? I know some of the early 08 models had issues (what models and what problems?) but are the 09s sorted out? And which model(s) is best? Ideally I want travel adjust, up to 160mm travel etc…

Dave

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

apparently so, although there were mods you could do to some models to avoid some of the problems.

One was the lockout/ orifice compression damper meant that the seals blew, sorted by putting shims back in rather than the big thick washers marzocchi had installed to give it a lockout rather than shimmed compression damper.

Think that was one of the TST forks.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

So which models are the best bet? Ideally was wanting some coil forks but may be tempted to look at the air ones if they're a load lighter and don't have the problems of the coil ones (or was it the air ones with the problems?).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

no idea, I even heard the basic R ones could fail.

Supposedly they'r getting significanlty lighter and QC is being impoved this year. The ti sprung ones apparently are knocking on fox 36 weight.

higgo
    Free Member

I have a 2008 55 ATA2.

It failed in Morzine with the bottm three inches of travel not being available and the wind-down winding down while riding so I was ending up at the bottom with about 1" of travel all told.

They went back and had all the gubbins replaced.

Then early 2009 on a very cold night, I came out of the pub after a night ride to find only about 45mm of stanchions showing.

They went back and had all the gubbins replaced with 2009 gubbins.

Then a few weeks ago, after a cold night, I went to get the bike out of the garage and found only about 45mm of stanchions showing.

They went back and had all the gubbins replaced.

When they work I really like them. I've got about another 13months left on the warranty and I'm fully expecting them to go again at some point during that time. If they do, I'll have them fixed again and ride them 'til they die. I couldn't sell them on with a clear conscience.

Having said that I understand the 2010 versions to eb so comlpetely different inside that you can't base any judgements on them on what's happened to the 2008/9 forks. Sadly for me they don't do any travel adjust ones any more or I'd replace mine. Maybe, just maybe, they'll re-introduce a problem-free adjustable travel one in the 2011 range?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Cheap for a reason then…

freeridenick
    Free Member

I have ETA 55 from 2008. Original cartridge failed and had the updated one fitted under warranty. All good now and just as plush as lyrics i would say. These are coil so better than the ATA ones I think?
    They survived a week in the rocks of spain on the new cartridge

half the price as well!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi 55s – That Bad??’ is closed to new replies.