Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Marzocchi 55r – Help me please!!!!
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

Ive got some marzocchi 55r forks on my spesh enduro and took it out or the first time yesterday. Doing 1-2 foot drops i could only get about 80mm of the travel used (leaving a further 80mm completely unused). This is with no air in the preload leg and so this leaves me to think that something needs changing internally (amount of oil or weight of oil) to allow me to utilize more of the travel.

I have heard elsewhere that these forks are known to be very stiff and was wondering if anyone could help me with what to do. Zocchi havent got any service manuals published on the net due to people invalidating their own warranties or some BS like that, so im stumped. I dont want to take the forks apart when i have no idea what im doing/looking for.

James

didmatt
    Free Member

on my 2008 55 TST2’s theres a rebound control knob on the bottom of the fork. Perhaps theres too much slow rebound on the fork?

Jammy111
    Free Member

nah only adjustments on the ‘r’ model are air preload on the right and rebound on the top of the left. Im positive it something to do with the internals rather than adjustments.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rebound damping will not affect compression of the fork! Sounds like oil levels to me – oil level too high ( if they are open bath- dunno if these are) will stop you getting full travel. If these forks are new take them back to where you got them from

There is a link to the manual here
    http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/listSPAManualsMTB.asp?IDFolder=126&IDA=56330&LN=UK&Sito=mtb

Jammy111
    Free Member

thats not a proper service manual though…. just more of a users guide

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ah – there is a guide to oil levels in the tuning tips section

Jammy111
    Free Member

it says 195mm of oil, where is this measured from/to???

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Jammy111 – Member

it says 195mm of oil, where is this measured from/to???

I think you mean ml rather than mm (unless marz have written in in the usual poor english)

It is the volume of oil to be put in the leg rather than an oil height. An oil height would be something like 50mm or 80mm rather than a large measurement such as 195mm on a 160mm fork.

My 55TST2 had an oil height of 30mm below the top of the leg from the factory, (with the spring removed and the fork fully compressed) and I think that is too much oil. I have dropped the oil level to 50mm below the top of the leg, but not ridden it yet to check.

If there is too much oil in the spring leg the air in the space above the oil will compress too quickly and stop the fork using all its travel.

higgo
    Free Member

I’d take it back. I won’t reel out all my tales of woe regarding my 55ATA2 as it’s got different gubbins to the 55R. But…. one of the problems I had with it was loss of half the travel.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Was a bit worried when I saw this post as I’d just ordered a pair of 55Rs from Canada, assuming that the problems plagueing the 55s were limited to the ATA versions. Anyway they arrived this morning – fantastically plush (the air preload is what attracted me as being light most coil forks are waaaay too stiff). Carpet testing they give 130mm easily (with no air added) . . . very pleased . . . and they’re white 8)

Oh and regards oil height, I do know that Manitou have used ‘oil height’ (measured downwards from the top of the fork lowers 🙄 ) in their manuals.

hora
    Free Member

I had the whole rebound cartridge replaced in 55r’s. Advertised them on here with the word ‘punt’ repeated repeatdly. I wouldnt touch Marzzochi forks with Gary Glitters todger. Seriously.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Wouldn’t want it anywhere near mine either Hora 😉 . I’m hoping they’ll be as plush and reliable as my old Z1 Drop Offs (which I know a lot of folks didn’t like but they were spot on for me) . . . watch this space.

Jammy111
    Free Member

ill have a go at opening them up and replacing the oil then. Anyone know what weight to use? I've got some 15w kicking about so it would be really useful if it was that….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi 55r – Help me please!!!!’ is closed to new replies.