Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Marzocchi 350 NCR/ NCR Ti experiences?
  • butterbean
    Free Member

My internet luddite brother is looking for some new 650b forks for his bike, and has a soft spot for Marzocchi.

He can’t really find any decent user or other reviews on them, as he keeps harping on about the heyday of their lovely, supple early forks and wants that again. He’s tried Pikes, 34’s etc and isn’t that bothered, so hasn’t persued them any further.

Does anyone have any real experience of these forks? Are they any good? The Ti looks like it could be a really great fork, if you are in the right weight range for the spring (he’s 13 stone).

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve got the 350CRs and they are awesome, prefer them to Pikes, a bit heavier but definitely smoother. I’d love to try some NCR Tis..

Serviced them then put them in the hardtail last night and took it out for a ride today, buttery smooth

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I have the 350 NCR Ti which I got on a deal from Merlin in August. I have only put about 15 hours on them (I bought them while recovering from broken arm/wrist)so am still getting to know their performance. There is a fair bit of stiction apparent when you squish the forks in the shed – but it’s not very noticeable once you’re riding and I’m hoping this will disappear once they are fully broken in. I will be getting onto Merlin/Windwave though if it doesn’t go.

I’m not a cycle journo but I have for the first time recognised ‘mid stroke support’ or whatever – they don’t rip through their travel and are genuinely very supportive and controlled. Small bump sensitivity seems good – and I’m hoping will get even better.

The main concern for me was the spring rate which is harder this year after previous years when many riders found Marz coil forks too soft. I’m 11.5 stone max and usually a bit less, and they are only just OK for me. I’m not using any air preload and in fact have them with a bit of negative air by compressing them with the valve pressed in and then letting it go. 13st would be spot on I should think.

I wouldn’t pay RRP for them but I’m very pleased with them so far for the somewhat less than £500 I paid. You will be aware that Fox have bought Marz so there must be a question mark over the future of these models and how warranties will work etc. It’s a three year warranty.

nixie

I’ve a set of 350CR. So far I’m happy with them, they feel great whilst riding though I would echo hacmishthecat’s experience of stiction when they the bike is static. I haven’t noticed this whilst riding though an they appear to track the ground well (I’ve not noticed brake dive either).

I’m nearly at the first service interval so will be oil changing them soon. Going to speak to windwave first though to check if the stiction is normal.

chrishc777
    Free Member

For the stiction open them up and get some oil and grease in there, mine came bone dry from the factory. Them leave them upside down overnight to let the oil work its way in.

nixie

Hmm, will try that. Did have them open from brand new to adjust the travel so they did get oil put in then. Did you grease the seals and bushings?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

That’s fine but it voids the warranty.

nixie

Not on mine. They are travel adjustable unlike the coil ones.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Yes, Stendec fork grease on the seals, bushes and air shaft, read it somewhere. Possibly from the Zocchi rep on Pinkbike

Stevelol
    Free Member

You need to use a specific grease, molykote 55, as it has to be able to break down in the oil.

mildred

I’ve currently got both the 350ncr & Pikes. I’ve also owned loads of decent forks including 55rc3ti, 36rc2 & Bos Deville, to name but a few.

In terms of all round performance as both a big hitting Alpine descent & all round UK trail fork, I found the Bos to be the best compromise of weight, small bump sensitivity, big hit support & recovery. For hard hitting constant downhill, repeated square edged hit capability the 55 was buttery smooth & composed.

This year in the Alps, whilst using the Pike, I experienced arm pump the like of which I haven’t had for all the years using Marz or Bos.

Now, the 350ncr; it seems to have a very linear air spring that feels coil like, but isn’t as good as the 55 on small bumps. Feels like a tad more breakaway force is required. That said, this seems to be either getting less so, or I’m getting more used to it. Fast bumpy/rough descents feel very composed but unfortunately I can’t yet comment or compare against the Pikes regarding my arm pump. It’s the low speed damping & mid travel support that’s really impressive. Once soaked in via the compression & damping controls they’re pretty amazing. Sooo controlled.

My biggest criticism is they’re not quite as nicely finished as all the others . E.g. On getting them the stickers were half peeling off, & the compression knob feels a bit loose. But overall I’m very impressed.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I got the Stendec as I couldn’t find Molykote anywhere. The Stendec stuff also breaks down fine in the oil.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi 350 NCR/ NCR Ti experiences?’ is closed to new replies.