Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Marsden Routes?
  • jonnyrockymountain

No probs for weds I’ll bring a few more

beefy

Wow, going to be a mahoosive group there! Do we all need name badges? PS the only way to do Wessenden is by the goat track.

djen83
    Free Member

got to agree with you there – Wessendon is a little tame. What do you think of the drop from goat track to the deer farm? Love it!

Is there a planned route for Wednesday? Or a rough idea?

Ben_mw

I might try and get over for a Wednesday ride, work and baby permitting.

BTW, on Saturdays Huddersfield StarWheelers do a mountain bike ride starting at 10am, different locations each week and you can go as fast or slow as you like, there’s lots of stops for re-grouping and they’re a very sociable bunch.

Some rides are a lot better than others, but yes they are a very sociable bunch. Headfirst, do you ride with HSW then? I do occasionaly, but thought I was the only STWer there – apart from the odd guest apperence by The Sanity Assasin.

Stevo210
    Free Member

I like the route that runs from the standege cutting across the moors on the Pennine Way and fork down the moorland on to the fast descent track which brings you out at the Hey Green Hotel. Very rutted and technical, in the dark anyway!
    It’s a climb to get up there to start with though, maybe to boggy for some too 🙂

djen83
    Free Member

Packhorse trail sounds good in the dark! Got a good route up from the goat track which would be mint in the dark

Think you’re forgetting a HSW member Ben! Work can’t be much of an excuse (assuming you still work in Slawit) and your baby is the same age as mine and I’ll be out!

Dave.

beefy

Sounds good, that drop to hey green is awesome, only done it in daylight though, the route across from standedge is great too, don’t know if this is too long, but how about:

Up Wessenden to the deer farm then right across dam to paving slap route across tops to standedge, then standedge to drop to hey green?

Just a thought.

jonnyrockymountain

A good route is from riverhead up Meltham rd turn right onto track up to shooters nab then turn right at top on the top catch until it meets wessenden down wessenden until the 3rd reservoir left onto pennine way follow pennine way up past black moss res up through cutting across A62 back onto pennine way over to buckstones rd where we pick up the top of eastergate (pack horse rd) and then enjoy the descent back into Marsden by hey green then back on road to riverhead for a nice pint

jonnyrockymountain

PPS bring your night lights

Stevo210
    Free Member

That’s funny you two just described the same route basically but in totally different ways. One with local trail slang and the other with official road names.
    I reckon both of them are good 🙂

Might be a fair distance though depending on skill and staminer level of different riders.

PPS definitely a bring your lights, bigger the better.

jonnyrockymountain

Steve
    My route is exactly the same apart from I have extended the beginning by joining wessenden after about 4 mile which Will give us a nice 14 mile max evening ride?

Stevo210
    Free Member

Right ok, I must have mis read that bit.
    Well Im up for that. Its difficult to choose a route when theres loads of little cool routes that can be joined up to make bigger ones.

I like the river crossings before the climb up to the slabs, got my feet very wet when I misjudged it last week, its a fair old climb up too the standedge 🙂

djen83
    Free Member

I’m up for the jonny rocky mountain route, if we are short of time we could cut out half of the goat track and drop from the goat track straight to the deer farm – its fun, particularly doing it sideways

oldboy
    Free Member

So the goat track is the path that follows the top catchwater drain, then. Got it.

Ben_mw

Think you’re forgetting a HSW member Ben! Work can’t be much of an excuse (assuming you still work in Slawit) and your baby is the same age as mine and I’ll be out!

Ah Dave. Whoops, sorry. Didn’t realise you still had a bike with fat tyres! Thought your only HSW rides were with the roadie lot.
    I’m only using my daughter as a potential excuse, as if I come out on Wednesday, I’ll not see her that day (I’m at work by the time she gets up).
    Still, hoping I’ll be there.

jonnyrockymountain

So Wednesday it is guys
    Lights on
    Mud guards on
    Waterproofs on
    Look forward to it

Stevo210
    Free Member

For those who may be interested I dug out some photos of the areas we will be riding. Cows/Sheep come as standard, other routes include grumpy Bulls 🙁

See everyone on Wednesday for a 6:30 depart 🙂

djen83
    Free Member

Has anybody tried Pule Hill in the pitch dark? Thats the one on the left when you cycle upto Manchester Road near the stanedge cutting.

Its a good climb and v.steep drop, might be a good idea if time becomes short on Wednesday evening?

Stevo210
    Free Member

Not sure if I know that one by name but may have ridden it.

Should be a good ride which ever route we take. See you all tomorrow night!

Ben_mw

Excellent ride last night lads, It was nice to ride a few new bits that have been under my nose for the 20 0dd years I’ve been riding, but never knew about.

and I’ll be out!

Where were you then Dave?

hora
    Free Member

Was unimpressed. Not THAT many trails really; quite samey, always seemed windy, gritty and just not quite fun.

I grew up/from the area and I found alot of the riding the same as you. With exception for some descents that ended up/around/into Berry Brow.

Then theres the stuff around the old Storthes Hall hospital- still not great IMO.

I’d LOVE to be proven wrong. Seriously, as it kills two birds for me, drop hora ‘squad off

Of course there are Hebden-style cheeky descents but there are abit of a trek inbetween?

stevo210 your last two photos kinda say it all to me.

mintimperial

Great ride last night, despite the weather being a bit rubbish. Thanks to all for showing me so much new stuff. Good to meet some new faces (and a surprise old one!), and sorry I couldn’t hang around for a pint. It’d be grand to go out again some time soon – drop me a line via my STW username at gmail.com if anyone’s organising something Marsden-based.

(Tom, on the Canyon.)

Stevo210
    Free Member

Hi All, yeah it was a good ride last night despite the weather, the route detour turned up some interesting little drops that I’m sure we’ll be linking in to our regular routes.
    As Tom said really nice to meet new faces (and 2 surprise old ones for me!) its a small world!.
    Definitely will arrange another ride soon.

(Nathan, a surprise old one 🙂 )

beefy

Yep, great ride, been riding round here for 10+ years and went on some new stuff, superb. Definitely need to do it again, got some great routes from New Mill.

Rich (on the enduro)

jonnyrockymountain

Ditto guys really enjoyed the stuff I havn’t done before so thanks for that
    Do we want to arrange to do another next weds?
    Email in my profile

jonnyrockymountain

Ps I was the one on the 456 carbon

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Marsden Routes?’ is closed to new replies.