Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Marmite best before date
  • wool

Just found a jar stashed away a the back of the cupboard best before 2010 am I going to die if I use it?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Pretty sure the stuff will last for 1000s of years and survive a nuclear winter too.

ransos
    Free Member

How would you know if it’s gone off?

chakaping
    Free Member

No idea, but would you be able to enjoy it knowing how much better it might have tasted before 2010 anyway?

wool

So after the nuclear holocaust just my jar of marmite and few cockroaches will be left?

Yak

Just a made-up date. Eat it. If it stinks and is very salty, then it hasn’t improved with age.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Shout at it, if it jumps best not to go there

deadkenny
    Free Member

Didn’t Marmite do an aged mature version anyway?

Cougar

Didn’t Marmite do an aged mature version anyway?

Yeah, “XO.” I’ve still got a jar somewhere (which is probably out of date).

martinhutch

2010 am

Not sure if they mean morning or evening there. Up to you if you want to risk it.

funkmasterp

Eat it, go on, you know you want to.

maccruiskeen

What kind of person are you to have a jar last that long.

They say theres two kinds of people – those who like marmite and those that don’t. But theres actually a third kind.

A lot of people say the like marmite but when I make them crumpets they have to politely scrape 90% of the marmite off.

So theres people who like marmite, people who don’t and people who don’t like marmite enough.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It’ll be fine.
    We “lost” an opened and part used jar when we emigrated. It turned up during a kitchen clean 3 or 4 years ago.

It was about 10 years out of date IIRC.

ransos
    Free Member

They say theres two kinds of people – those who like marmite and those that don’t. But theres actually a third kind.

I suspect the majority of us just think it’s a bit “meh”.

maccruiskeen

“meh”.

Blasphemer!

johnners
    Free Member

I’ve got an opened jar with a BBE date of October 2004. I still have some occasionally to remind me that it’s OK but I prefer Vegemite.

Harry_the_Spider

Satan’s ear wax.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Best before date for marmite? Any time before it’s actually made. It’s the only thing the wife and I don’t agree on.

kayak23

Nicely matured I’d have thunk.

Edukator
    Free Member

I visited some German friends and gave them a jar of local honey. They made a quip about having been given a huge jar of Marmite by an English friend. At breakfast I asked if they’d still got the Marmite, they had, many years out of date, it was fine, they gave me the jar.

wool

Done and it tastes like errrrr normal I am alive alive I say.

thepurist

I’ve got an opened jar with a BBE date of October 2004. I still have some occasionally to remind me that it’s OK but I prefer Vegemite.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Perhaps if you left it to mature long enough, it might turn into Vegemite.

avdave2

I heard on the radio recently a “Marmite Spokesperson” saying you could still eat an original jar of it today. The salt means it keeps indefinitely as bacteria can’t survive in it, it’s just that it will lose it’s taste over the years.

z1ppy

shirely the date is superfluous, when you bin that nasty ****

chip
    Free Member

I always worryabout the old butter residue from the knife that invariably gets stirred into it.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I reckon marmite is the modern day equivalent of Egyptian honey.

Still ok after several thousand years, but no one really wants to risk it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

slowoldgit – Member 
    Perhaps if you left it to mature long enough, it might turn into Vegemite.

More worrying if it turns into Bovril.

cranberry
    Free Member

It will still be sterile – what self-respecting germ is going to touch Marmite ?

Cougar

A lot of people say the like marmite but when I make them crumpets they have to politely scrape 90% of the marmite off.

Yeah, I’d happily spread it like jam, but would err on the side of “less is more” when inflicting it on others.

paul4stones

I don’t think marmite is best before a date in case she doesn’t like it. Try a banana.

sirromj

I hate it when visiting people and for whatever reason you end up having Marmite on toast and it’s this tiny little jar that’s years old and the contents are starting to dry up inside – it’s a bit like that 1/4 jar of instant coffee that’s been in left in the pantry for too many years. But even worse is if the bastards store it in the refrigerator.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Marmite best before date’ is closed to new replies.