Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Marmite
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

I used to try it, when in an hotel and they had them little tubs of the stuff. I rarely liked it but when with colleagues who raved about the stuff, I’d sometimes give it another go. Normally after a few bites of toast with the stuff spread over, I’d just have to stop eating it before I felt I’ll and pulled a mad “that tastes rank” sort of face.

After having a small portion of marmite cheese a few weeks ago, from one of those cheese mix bags, I found myself craving marmite last night so bought a jar.

I LOVE IT but can’t explain why.

Anyone else become a lover of Marmite?

Solo
    Free Member

Nope, I was born that way.
    😉

rugbydick

I’m originally from Burton on Trent (where they make the stuff) and practically grew up on it.

I can sit with a teaspoon and eat it straight from the jar. Mmmmmmmm.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Is very good in small qualities due to its overpowering flavour. If you did not get-it as a child, you will not get-it as an adult.

Solo
    Free Member

If you did not get-it as a child, you will not get-it as an adult.

Eh ?.

mrdestructo

You know most people struggle to remember their childhood, with few remembering flashes, scenes, weird moments?

The first time I had Marmite I didn’t like it. After then I loved it. Thing is, that memory, it’s of me not liking it, on the balcony of a 4th storey flat in the Netherlands, vomiting through the bars to the clamour of a marching band going by.

Cougar

The trick with Marmite is, most people spread it like jam and are overpowered by it. You’re supposed to just put a thin smear on your toast. However,

I can sit with a teaspoon and eat it straight from the jar.

So can I. I plaster that bad boy down half an inch thick(*).

(* – may be an exaggeration).

higgo
    Free Member

Supper last night was ‘beans on cheese on marmite on toast’.

😀

grum
    Free Member

It’s a bit like Marmite really isn’t it?

Solo
    Free Member

In the past, I would spread butter onto the warm toast.
    This would begin to melt.
    Then apply Marmite which blends with the butter.
    This reduces the viscocity of the marmite and allows you spread it more easily.
    imo.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

MMMMM I love marmite and always have! Layers of it on toast, spoon from a jar too and as for marmite cheese, marmite thins and home made marmite biscuits.. now they are dah bomb! Brought some into work and everyone went “eaurgh” started trying them .. LOVED them!

Cougar

This reduces the viscocity of the marmite and allows you spread it more easily.

Have you tried the squeezy stuff? It’s slightly less viscous than Marmite but tastes almost, but not quite, entirely like Marmite.

I tend to have a jar on hand as Cooking Marmite.

DezB
    Free Member

Personally, I can take or leave the stuff. It’s ok….

zippykona

Marmite and crunchy peanut butter on toast.
    Does it for me.

Muke
    Free Member

Marmite on toast (no butter) with tinned beans or tomatoes on top 😀

zippykona

Don’t even think of offering me vegemite.

JohnJohn
    Free Member

Just found almost empty jar of Marmite & Guinness in the back of the cupboard, best before is/was Sept 08! Having it on toast for lunch, tastes ok, but will I get food poisoning?

Cougar

Well, you might get a yeast infection. (-:

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Marmite isn’t the sickests thing. The sickest thing is that brew based on oxe or cow? Bovril it’s called! And VINEGAR on chips.

Like jesus.

Cougar

I used to like Bovril. They made it veggie for a while during the BSE ‘crisis’, kicking myself for not stocking up.

(sorry, IGMC)

stavromuller
    Free Member

Vegemite is a real man’s spread, marmite is for kids

CountZero

Vinegar on chips? Its what chips were invented for!

kayak23

Vegemite is a real man’s spread, marmite is for kids

I have to agree. Although not very patriotic, and growing up on Marmite, I’ve switched allegiance to Vegemite. Don’t know why but it just tastes……fantastic.

Also, the little jars are straight-sided which makes obtaining the waning supply a much friendlier proposition 😀

M1llh0use
    Free Member

yep, a marmite “grower” here. used to hate it, now almost like it.

tonyd

I would spread butter onto the warm toast.
    This would begin to melt.
    Then apply Marmite which blends with the butter.

That’s all very well until you decide you need a bit more marmite and end up with loads of butter in the marmite pot! Did that with some jam a while ago and it went mouldy. Consequently I always think I need more than I do, my marmite tolerance is now quite high!

smoothchicken

Marmite and Dairylea, match made in heaven.

You know most people struggle to remember their childhood, with few remembering flashes, scenes, weird moments?

Parma Violets, those little purple sweets, proper ‘Marmite’ they are, should be called Parme Vile-ets

easygroove
    Free Member

+1 for vegemite – living in Aus, i have no choice 8)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Marmite and crunchy peanut butter on toast.
    Does it for me.

+1
    Yum

andytherocketeer

mmmm – still working my way thru the 1kg of Marmite XO that I bought a while back 🙂

cotic853
    Free Member

I have graduated to XO the even marmite-ier marmite

Cougar

See, I quite like the XO, but didn’t think it was sufficiently nicerer than the regular one to justify the massive price hike.

Always loved it, the Mrs loves it and so does the daughter.

Best on crumpets, or if toast it has to be thin sliced white.

No good on sandwiches

spacemonkey

If you did not get-it as a child, you will not get-it as an adult.

Nope. I couldn’t stand it as a child. Mates used to bring over their own jars when we had “tea parties” because we didn’t even have it in the house.

Love the stuff now. Tis best on thick toast with a layer of peanut butter on top.

wwaswas
    spooky_b329

Anyone else find marmite from a jar tastes better than the single serving packs? (I was given a box of singles for my Campervan)

I was given some marmite flavoured rice crackers which were OK, but when I tried a marmite flavoured cereal bar I couldn’t eat it… It just didn’t work!

geoffj

I found myself craving marmite last night so bought a jar.

Pregnant?

cotic853
    Free Member

The chocolate didn’t quite work for me either, not too noticeble when eating it but a definate marmitey aftertaste. Nice enough but not how I like my chocolate

sobriety
    Free Member

I’ve just got back from tesco with a jar of marmite and a pack of extra mature cheddar slices, omnomnomnomnomnom…

Cougar

No good on sandwiches

Marmite and ketchup sandwiches.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I love marmite, but my girlfriend gave me a bar of the marmite chocolate and it was uterly vile.

Not because of the marmite – but because it tasted of celery. I checked the ingredients and sure enough it had celery salt in it (i don;t mind celery, just not in chocolate)

and it was too sweet and was milk chocolate

I think marmite chocolate could work – but it needs to be dark chocolate, and no celery salt

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Marmite’ is closed to new replies.