Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Marlborough / Salisbury Plain route advice please?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Has anyone got a good route in this area, either as a map they can email or a gpx file? I havent done much riding in the area, but am looking for somewhere midway between Bristol and London for tomorrow?

cheers

MrNutt
    Free Member

are you looking for XC (I’m guessing thats what your after?) or do you fancy exploring in some (muddy mini DH, singletrack & Fire road) woods?

frenchie
    Free Member

Routes off the Wylye valley between Warminster and salibury may do you.
    Check out the Great road and grovley wood trails. You wont meet asoul.

Anna-B
    Free Member

There is some lovely biking around Wylye Valley, Frenchie’s right. Grovelly Wood is beautiful, lots of tracks, but I find it quite easy to get lost in there. Park in Great Wishford and cycle under railway bridge up the lane into the wood. Also though, think about Savernake Forest, right next to Marlborough. I had lovely ride round there, linking up with Avon/Kennet canal path. Can’t send map and GPS stuff I’m afraid, but for Savernake you need OS 157. You may get by without a map in Savernake, depends how far you want to go.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

thanks guys. I was assuming fairly tame xc is what would be on offer in that neck of the woods, but more than happy to get techie and DH.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Is Great Road the track marked as a Roman Road on the OS map?

MrNutt
    Free Member

drop me an email (but be quick, I’m off out) and I’ll point you in the direction of the woods 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sorry I didn’t see this earlier!

For future reference, speak to the nice folks at SPAMBiking or Stonehenge Cycles. Local folks, good folks, should be able to help out! I’ve got a fair few routes on the Plain I could share, but they’re from memory not maps!

frenchie
    Free Member

Annabananna, have you found the planted clearing and memorial seat at map ref;965 356 stockton wood?, heaven. Check it out in the spring.

MrNutt
    Free Member

did you get out? perhaps it was you that we rode past on the old railway line (you were heading towards marlborough?)

Anna-B
    Free Member

Frenchie, no, I don’t know that – sounds nice. I don’t understand your co-ords though. Will ask my bike buddy to get his GPS on the case and check it out in Spring. One of my favourite places in Grovelly is to come out of the wood on the West side, round Stourton Hatch, and sit on the side of the hill. You get an amazing view of the valley – it’s beautiful. Biking and Wiltshire are such a good combination.

frenchie
    Free Member

Map ref; for stourton hatch please? Not named on map landranger 184!

Any other tips cause I dont know the salisbury end of the Roman Road too well?

frenchie
    Free Member

Whoops, just found it Explorer 130 at 029 353 sturton hatch overlooking Langford lakes I see.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Marlborough / Salisbury Plain route advice please?’ is closed to new replies.